Y Splitter Cable

huskerdu

I bought a Y cable splitter because before I would simply plug in a single guitar cable from my behringer xenyx 802 into my pod xt live. There is a "L" and an "R" on the MAIN OUT for the xenyx 802 and I would just plug into the left channel and then record. Since I was only technically plugged into one channel I'd assume I was recording in mono.

Since I got my Y Splitter I am now plugged into both "L" and "R" on the main out yet when I lay tracks down I don't know if I really hear much of a difference.

My real question is whether or not I really needed a Y Splitter cable

thoughts?

well for one you have a stero channel on your mixer why not run it that way or better yet what are you recording into your pc? if so you can go usb direct digital recording

well for one you have a stereo channel on your mixer why not run it that way or better yet what are you recording into your pc? if so you can go usb direct digital recording

well I need to be able to record onto my laptop yet my mixer doesn't have USB capability. So that's why I send it through the POD XT Live which does have a USB outlet for my macbook.

I have stereo input selected on garageband but like I said, wasn't I technically recording in mono before i got the splitter? Shouldn't I be hearing a decent amount of difference in the sound?

I'm trying to figure out whether or not I should return the Y Splitter cable.

does your mac book have firewire? and how are you interfacing it the macbook thru the sound card? whats the point of the mixer then

does your mac book have firewire? and how are you interfacing it the macbook thru the sound card? whats the point of the mixer then

I have the mixer cuz I need phantom power for my Rode NT1A mic (I couldn't get a phantom power on its own that gives out enough V's)

My macbook doesn't have firewire, just usb 2.0

If you're splitting a mono signal and sending it to stereo inputs, you still have a mono signal and it won't sound any different - just be the same thing recorded on two channels. So in this case, the splitter is not doing you any good.

then run you pod thru the usb port then it will be a direct conection and use the tube preamp part of the pod to run your mic thru via your mixer altho you should of gotten a differnt mixer at least one with usb and you can always get a firewird pcmia card and upgrade to a alesis firewire multimix 8 or m audio interface either way your only gonna get a mono input thru the pod unless you go thru the aux in put which is a 1/8 stereo jack but would be a dry signal out which would work best for what you have atm

ok well first off I realized I screwed up when I plugged into the MAIN OUT instead of the STEREO AUX RETURN (as according to the manual which I should've read a long time ago, says that the main outs are simply 2 unbalanced mono jacks)

The POD XT is on a bypass mode and in the system preferences I have it set to "send clean guitar" instead of a processed/colorized guitar (there is also a mic tone/effect I downloaded for the pod xt).

I'm about to go record with these setting (or rather with the splitter in the correct input this time) and see if it makes a difference.

haha thanks but unfortunately it didn't work.:mad:

Does pod xt live not to do stereo output?

Cuz I get no sound when I go into the stereo jacks of the mixer, but I do when I go into the mono jacks

arrgghh

yes it does do stereo outs thru either the headphone or left and right but not if your runing it in bypass with no processing that why i said to use it as recoding direct and use the tube preamp this will give it to you

yes it does do stereo outs thru either the headphone or left and right but not if your runing it in bypass with no processing that why i said to use it as recoding direct and use the tube preamp this will give it to you

so I also used a 1/8 adapter (the macbook has one so you can plug your regular guitar able into it and record directly

I also am tryin to simply plug the mixer into the 1/8 jack and plug that into the macbook itself like you would with a guitar but no luck with that either!

try this bro you trying to record your mic correct start with your mixer then run your y cable which i assume is a stereo out of your master outs of your mixer straight into you sound card then run your pod via usb into you mac book . make sure your pan knob on the channel is in the center postion if you still dont have stereo it could be either the cable a setting in garage band or a bad cable or it could be in the mixer but when you record you have to select what will be your input and if its a stereo or mono input

try this bro you trying to record your mic correct start with your mixer then run your y cable which i assume is a stereo out of your master outs of your mixer straight into you sound card then run your pod via usb into you mac book . make sure your pan knob on the channel is in the center postion if you still dont have stereo it could be either the cable a setting in garage band or a bad cable or it could be in the mixer but when you record you have to select what will be your input and if its a stereo or mono input

first off, thanks a ton for all your help and input

my only question, is when you say plug straight into my soundcard, I'm confused at that

soundcard = macbook?

your line in or input not your mic input tho it would be to hot of a signal and cause distortion . what model mac book you using? i can look it up and see what you have will figure this out

damn man, like i can use the 1/8 audio jack to record guitar but when i take out my guitar and hook up my mic i get no sound :(

Back