Y-Cables and Audiofile, DMP3 and Reverb

Status
Not open for further replies.

flourish

Realtime Monitoring (w Reverb) of Live Sound

I would like to record guitar playing and singing at the same time with the following setup:

AMD Athlon 1.2 GHz Processor (200 MHz Front Side Bus)
128 MB RAM PC133 (SDRAM, Intel PC SDRAM unbuffered DIMM specification)
M-Audio Audiophile 2496 sound card
M-Audio DMP3 preamp
30' 5-in-1 KVM cable, 30' power cable
MXL 990 and 991 mics
N-Track Studio 4 (unregistered so far...)
Audio Technica ATH-M30 headphones

I am trying out N-Track because of the community here. It seems easy to use except for audio track splicing. So, there is:

Me and my guitar > MXL 990 > Preamp > 30' Stereo Patch Cable > Stereo Y Cable to Dual RCA > Audiophile 2496 > N-Track < Audiofile 2496 < Stereo Y Cable to Dual RCA < Headphones

I've got the computer in another room with the help of the 30 foot cables, so computer sound is not a problem. I want to get powered monitors (and a new computer for that matter!, but for now, this is what I've got)

1. When "live" recording, I can't seem to listen to what is being "amplified" into the computer. I have to press stop and then play it back to hear what it sounds like. I would like to use N-Track's reverb feature on my vocals just a touch while I am singing. Hearing myself while singing will enhance my performance. How can I accomplish this? I realize latency is an issue with a computer, but I was hoping my recently-purchased Audiofile 2496 sound card would solve that issue.

2. Also, how can I best mic myself and the guitar onto separate tracks while playing simultaneously? I realize there will be some bleedthrough, but I am not sure how to position myself to the mics, as the MXL 990 seems to pick up every little sound (hey, it's a condenser mic!)

3. If I were to get powered monitors, does it come with cables that have 2 (left/right) male RCA connectors? Or, will I need the Y-cable for those as well?

Any advice? If I could get rolling with this system, I would be very happy. I need my music to keep me moving forward...

-flourish

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back