XY Stereo Recording

rio452001

When using XY mic placement, facing the drumkit (i.e., audience perspective), the mic on the stand on the left (mic no 1) is facing to the right (towards the hi-hat side of the kit) and the mic on the stand on the right (mic no 2) is facing to the left (i.e., towards the floor tom side of the kit).

So, when I'm panning mic 1 & 2, should No 1 be panned to the right, or the left? I.e., if the mic on the left (no 1) is picking up the right side of the kit, why shouldn't it be panned to the right?

Rght now, I've been panning no 1 to the left, and no 2 to the right, with the floor and rack toms in between, panned at about 10 and 2 o'clock (i.e., to the left and right, respectively), and it sounds correct, but I'm just aimlessly wondering.

the orientation of your panning is all personal taste really. If you want it to sound as you're out in front of the kit, pan it that way. If you want everything situated as it sounds from behind the kit, pan it that way. Whatever you want, just make sure any other mics follow suit, or you're in for some wierd sounds.

It's all personal preference. I pan drummers perspective because I play drums and it bugs me when I hear the hihat in my right ear...

just pan the one that is facing the hi hat to whatever side you want the hi hat to be on and the other one to the other side.

just keep in mind...if you are using tom mics to pan the toms to a spot that makes sense with what you have done with the overheads.

i tend to pan my drums so that they sound like they would if i was standing in front of them although i find that when i record demos for others the drummer will usually ask for the drums to be panned so that they sound like he's sitting behind them

It's all personal preference. I pan drummers perspective because I play drums and it bugs me when I hear the hihat in my right ear...

lol, it bugs me too, but i've gotten into the habit of panning to the audience's perspective because it seems like the recording should sound the way it would to a live audience.

but now that i think of it, i imagine non-drummers wouldn't even notice either way, and the only people that would be bothered by it ARE drummers. perhaps i should return to panning to drummer's perspective.

My question wasn't really whether to use the drummer's perspective, or audience perspective, with respect to the pannign of the drum kit.

Rather, Second Skin comes the closest-- i.e., it's mic no 1 (to the audience's left) that is "pointing towards" the hi-hat, which is on the right side of the audience.

If I mic the high hat, for example, it would be panned towards the right of centre, because that's where it is, from the audience's perspective.

My question is this: it's the left overhead (mic no 1) pointing towards the high hat; should that be panned right or left, if I want the hi-hat to sit to the right of centre, from the audience perspective?

sounds alien to me to when panned right.. and im not a drummer !!! (just hit 10 random mp3`s and they all put hats left)

My question wasn't really whether to use the drummer's perspective, or audience perspective, with respect to the pannign of the drum kit.

Rather, Second Skin comes the closest-- i.e., it's mic no 1 (to the audience's left) that is "pointing towards" the hi-hat, which is on the right side of the audience.

If I mic the high hat, for example, it would be panned towards the right of centre, because that's where it is, from the audience's perspective.

My question is this: it's the left overhead (mic no 1) pointing towards the high hat; should that be panned right or left, if I want the hi-hat to sit to the right of centre, from the audience perspective?
Mic 1 should be panned right to get audience perspective.

As a lefty, I take offense at the fact that you guys are pre-judice towards left-handed drummers. :D :D :D

At the audience perspective at what point Or how many feet out into the room does the sound just become mono to our ears? And you cant tell if the high hat is on the left or the right. At some distance it has to happen.

If you are standing 20 ft in front of a drumset, the hats dont sound like they are on the left or right, neither do the toms or cymbals. They all sound like they are coming from the same place. A drumkit does not have a wide stereo spread from an audience's prospective. So trying to stereo separate from an audience prospective does not make a lot of sense. The drummer hears the the BEST stereo spread. So mixing a spread goes back to the what YOU want the audience to hear.

You guys are taking the term "audience perspective" too literally. It just means 'in front of the kit looking at the drummer'.

As a lefty, I take offense at the fact that you guys are pre-judice towards left-handed drummers. :D :D :D

That's why I figure it soesn't matter, other than getting the whole kit panned the same...I happen to pan from behing the kit, so hat more prevelant on the left. That's what I hear when playing....so it just sounds more like what I know. :D

Back