XP with Sound Forge 4.5 and Sonar 1.3?

dhriley

Hi to all,
I am currently running Win 98SE with Sonar XL 1.3 and Sound Forge 4.5. Everything is stable and runs fine. But, I have big latency when trying to use the DXI effects in Sonar, like revalver and the synths. I have a Yamaha Waveforce 192 sound card, and the best latency I can get is 26ms, any lower and it starts popping and distorting. I havd also tried a Creative PCI512, but that seemed worse. I am thinking that upgrading to Win XP may solve the latency problems if I can use the WDM drivers. If anyone else is using these same programs, with similar hardware, I'd like to know what you think. My PC is a PIII 550, with 320ram, 20 gig WD 7200, and a 30 gig Maxtor 7200. both set to DMA. Win 98se has no "extras", no internet, no games, etc., just used for music. Thanks for any and all advice,
dhriley

I hated Windows 98 even when I hadn't been exposed to a better solution. I was very familiar with the blue screens. Then I moved onto Win 2000 which was rock solid and seemed to solve some serious 98 memory leaks (notice when you quit out of all apps that the computer doesn't get back all it's resources?). Then I got greedy and bumped up to XP to solve some not so serious OS incompatibilities with putting my machine to sleep. XP might be ok if it were stripped of a lot of bloat. There are a lot of automated functions that seem to slow everything down even though in general my machine may be slightly more stable. Just opening an IE window seems slow.

I'm thinking of going back to Win 2000. Like you I have a machine with old processors. I just clean installed Win 2000 on another machine about the same speed as the one running XP and it's feels like a speed demon but it's also totally clean except for the most basic apps. All this testing has been done with web development software in mind so I can't really comment on your audio questions directly. But I'd say stay off XP unless you have a fast new machine and need something that 2000 doesn't have.

i'm'

Your computers specs are fine (PIII 550, with 320ram, 20 gig WD 7200, and a 30 gig Maxtor 7200). :cool:

If you go to your soundcard makers website you can update you soundcard drivers to ASIO or WDM.

That should solve your latency problems.

Peace...

spin

Sure XP technically works. I'm just saying it doesn't work really well or at least as well as I feel 2000 does. Maybe it's just my setup but XP is a slug. The next opportunity I can spare the downtime I plan to wipe and reinstall Win 2000.

I've also come to the conclusion that my machine is starting to get really old. Here's my comparison. Do you want to be stuck in a race car stuck in second gear or would you rather be in a non-flashy car that is finely tuned and flies?

Sometime ago I read about a company that stripped out all the IE and other bloat from 98 for a rock solid system and created a separate install. Wish there was something like that for XP. Or maybe I'm just not familiar enough with it to fine tune it under the hood.

invisiblemute said:
Sure XP technically works. I'm just saying it doesn't work really well or at least as well as I feel 2000 does. Maybe it's just my setup but XP is a slug. The next opportunity I can spare the downtime I plan to wipe and reinstall Win 2000.

:confused:

XP works much better than 2000. My latency numbers with my Audiophile are actually lower in XP than 2000.

dhriley,

Swtiching to XP alone will really not improve your latency numbers. You need to also get a better soundcard with decent WDM drivers like the Audiophile or Echo MiaMIDI.

WDM drivers??

Hi again,
I didn't think I could get WDM drivers for win98se, that's why I though about going to XP. I also don't think either of my soundcards have WDM or asio drivers available - creative pci 512 or the Yamaha Waveforce 192. I've been looking at the Aardvark Direct Pro 24/96 and the Delta 66 ( really like to have XLR ins with phantom power ). And, does anybody know if I need to go to Sonar 2 to be able to use the WDM or ASIO drivers? Maybe I should have posted this in the Cakewalk forum.
Thanks for all of your help so far.
dhriley

Re: WDM drivers??

dhriley said:
Hi again,
I didn't think I could get WDM drivers for win98se, that's why I though about going to XP. I also don't think either of my soundcards have WDM or asio drivers available - creative pci 512 or the Yamaha Waveforce 192. I've been looking at the Aardvark Direct Pro 24/96 and the Delta 66 ( really like to have XLR ins with phantom power ). And, does anybody know if I need to go to Sonar 2 to be able to use the WDM or ASIO drivers? Maybe I should have posted this in the Cakewalk forum.
Thanks for all of your help so far.
dhriley

I guess I wasn't clear. XP alone would not provide any kind of improvement, but using XP together with a better card would.

Sonar has always supported WDM drivers, but ASIO support was only added in 2.2 and 3.0.

If you're thinking about upgrading to 3.0, you will definetly need to be running XP.

Back