XP partition size

Jamie Jukosky

I was doing clean install of XP on my new system and it asked what size I should make the partition. Does anybody know what a good partition size for XP is? Also which format should I use FAT or NTFS(I think)?
My system is Athlon XP 1700
ECS K75SA
30gb 7200 RPM HD
256 MB DDR RAM
MOTU 828
Thanks,
Jamie

Is the drive partitioned at all right now? If it's one big 30GB, that's cool. Or if you like partition it 10GB for the OS and 20GB for your audio files. This would be for organization purposes, and if you wanted to wipe C partition, you could leave your audio data alone (which of course, you've also backed up on CD-R :) ). I stick with FAT 32.

How is that ECS board working for you? I contemplating switching to an AMD setup and that particuliar board seems to get a lot favourable mention as for compatability etc.

Thanks for the advice. I researched the ECS board for a while and it seemed like a good one for the cost. I'll get back to you when I've actually had a chance to do some heavy duty recording on it.

Just thought I'd mention that FAT32 does not support files over 4GB (NTFS has no limit). I ran into this problem with video, but it seems a far fetch to be a problem with audio, but it's something to consider.

Emeric - Have you checked out the GigaByte GA-7DXR+? It's more than double the price of that ECS board ($126@newegg), but using SiS chipsets sounds kinda scary to me. That GigaByte board uses an AMD NorthBridge.

Go with NTFS. It is more efficient in WinXP. Also partition your hard drive for the maximum size available. So in essence have one big (c) drive. I agree with Emeric that it can help for organization two have two drives, but thats just it. Get another drive then. I personally can't see you doing a large project with just a 30 drive. I mean they are cheap now, 40 gig 7200 rpm for like $85. Get another one. Partioning your drive doesn't give any performance benefits, so why do it?? The other advantage to another hard drive is to have on entire drive dedicated to audio. That way if the OS ever crashes or you get a virus, it won't wipe the audio, just the OS.

A nice mobo that is cheap is the
Shuttle AK31 V3.1 VIA KT266A Socket A
Only 75 bucks and has almost all the features of a Abit KR7

Just my 2 cents worth
Beezoboy

Back