XLR to 1/4" phono adapter questions

Rudy2

Howdy all,

I just made the break and bought a used MR-8 off of eBay and am now collecting other stuff so I can get started in a small way. I also bought two Musician's Friend ceapo mic stands and Nady Star-whatever mics so I can begin recording. I have other uses for the mics as well (plug into guitar amp etc.) and wonder how to adapt the XLR cable to a 1/4" phono plug. What do I need for this? I am not sure on an XLR what male/female ends look like exactly so am a little confused by that and also think that the 1/4" male plug should be mono, right?

Anyway, hope this makes sense to someone. What adapter do I need to go from an XLR cable to 1/4" phono plug?

Thanks,

Rudy2

at radio shack or any music shop or on line.
search under my name for lots of tips posted about recording over the last year.

I guess I wasn't very clear. I don't want to go into the MR-8 with a 1/4" plug. I want to be able to use my XLR microphone and cable for other uses, such as going into a guitar amp etc.

Rudy2

Thanks Kevin DeSchwazi for the images and descriptions of XLR connectors. I guess the microphone is male making the connecting end of the cord female. That means the other end of the cord is male and the MR-8 is female, correct?

So why do some XLR adapters offer a 1/4" stereo phono plug? Aren't most all microphones mono?

Rudy2

Rudy2 said:
Thanks Kevin DeSchwazi for the images and descriptions of XLR connectors. I guess the microphone is male making the connecting end of the cord female. That means the other end of the cord is male and the MR-8 is female, correct?

So why do some XLR adapters offer a 1/4" stereo phono plug? Aren't most all microphones mono?

Rudy2
Microphones are balanced so they require 3 connections (the xlr has 3 pins that correspond to the 3 connections on a "stereo" 1/4 plug.

And yes, the input of the MR-8 is female.

Back