XLR Snake Radio Interference?

technominds

Hey guys,

I'm using a 30ft 16/4 XLR snake to my console. It seems that the four return XLR's have a huge amount of radio noise on them, each one actually has a different radio channel! Is there any specific reason this is happening? I don't get it on the 16 coming in, just the sends!

The desk i'm using is a Soudcraft Spirit Studio 32, i've tried a ton of different cables and they all give the same result.

The only thing I can think of is that the Aux out's on my desk are jack's and I may not be using a balanced jack>xlr converter.

What are your thoughts?

- TM

That could very well be the case with your sends check your manual or look on line if you don't have one.
That's kinda cool and weird a different channel per send maybe it's haunted possessed by some radio disc jockey.

Haha, some are different channels and then one has about 5/6 channels at once. Very odd!

Am I right in thinking that most XLR is balanced? I'l have to get some balanced connectors to find out. Would an unbalanced connector have such huge issues with interference? It's not just a small amount of radio, were talking loud and clear!

Would an unbalanced connector have such huge issues with interference? It's not just a small amount of radio, were talking loud and clear!

Absolutely!

That is one of the main reasons for balanced. It's called 'common mode rejection'. I won't go into it here but with a good balanced line to a balanced input, you should not have this problem. -- If you do, you have ground loop area issues. :D

Cheers,
John

But you say that your snake is balanced. This is weird but you are on the other side of the pond.
This could be an atmospheric anomaly do you live any where near a repeater station/military base or do you see alien space crafts at night?:laughings::eek::laughings:

Having a 'balanced' snake doesn't matter if his inputs are not balanced. - for this problem he needs balanced inputs for common mode rejection.

One thing you can try; lift the shield on the return inputs at the console. This will cut the 'antenna' loop and remove it from that input.

Back