XLR-mic in Tascam 424 II

dirk_demon

Hi everyone!
Maybe a stupid question, but I have a Sennheiser mic wich has a XLR-output, but my mic-cable has an XLR input (mic) and a jack output (to tascam). My Tascam 424 II does have XLR-inputs, can I just go to ye olde music shoppe and buy a special XLR-in/XLR-out cable or am I missing something here?

Moreover, what is the advantage of XLR to jack?
Forgive me if it's a stupid question, but it's been on my mind for quite a while. Can't find anything in the TASCAM manual...but maybe I'm missing something here.

Thanks already!
Dirk Demon

Typically an XLR connection is a balanced connection. (the three wires, Hot, Cold, and Ground)

On the 424 MKII, the 1/4" Inputs are unbalanced inputs, meaning there are only 2 connection points.

You'd get a better signal if you used a standard XLR Cable into the 424 (less prone to interference, etc)

Yes, you can go to ye olde music shoppe and buy an XLR to XLR cable. XLR to XLR is supposed to be a better connection than XLR to jack. It should sound better.

Thanks!
I'll go to my local dealer tomorrow and get such a cable!
Makes you wonder why the Sennheiser company didn't provide such a magic cable in the first place...

Thanks again!
Dirk Demon

Back