XLR and TRS wall plate

SuicideNote

always improving
I want to install a wall plate that has 8 XLR and 2 TRS connections. This box will bridge my sound room and the control room. How is this usually done? Do female XLRs go on the sound room side and male XLRs on the control side? Where can I get a diagram for wiring this stuff up? This is new ground for me and any information will be appreciated.

SuicideNote said:
How is this usually done? Do female XLRs go on the sound room side and male XLRs on the control side?

For mic lines, yes.

Where can I get a diagram for wiring this stuff up? This is new ground for me and any information will be appreciated.

Well, for XLR-XLR and TRS-TRS just match up pins. XLR-TRS is pin 1=sleeve, pin 2=tip, pin 3=ring.

I suppose you could do it that way.. but generally I would think you'd want the panel to terminate somewhere besides merely the other side of the wall. . Which means, the back side of the sound room panel has a 12 channel snake wired to it with a pigtail end at a preamp rack or into your mixer. If you've done live sound - this is akin to running a snake from the stage to the mixer- you have the stage box (= wall panel) in your sound room and the pigtail end at your mixer. If you are under construction or remodeling and can run this cable in the walls, even better. Take care to seal up even the smallest openings between rooms to cut down on the sound transmission.

I actually made a recent post regarding this same situation, but I was more curious as to how to set it up, when it comes to "Hooking up the back wires that run inside the wall to the outlets", and the soldering...

... sounds real noob, but is their a specific kind of soldering to use for the XLR and TRS wall mounts? I only ask this because, if there is, I would like to purchase a specific soldering that won't take away from the quality of the microphone and microphone cables and/or get the job done to send audio signal (if the latter two issues are the case at all)...

...also, regarding the wire you'll be using to bridge one XLR outlet to another: Are there any brands that I should look out for or that anyone recommends?

Thanks.

Back