X/Y technique on acoustic guitar

frequency_

I ve used the x/y technique a couple of times on acoustic guitar using a pair of c1000s, placed 2-3 feet away from the guitar and pointing the guitar. and i ve had some pretty good results. Ive not tried it with other mics and i think its time to replace my c1000's with another pair. I m thinking to go for a pair of marshal MXL 603S. has anyone had any experience recording acoustic guitar with those mics? thx

I know you didn't ask the question this way but I've used a C1000 (thru a Blue Tube/Blue Max) on several different acoustic guitars with several different players -including myself - and have been very very pleased with the results. I can't see a good reason for using anything else in that price range......just my opinion.

the c1000 is kinda famously brittle, but all the same i'm not sure that the change between them and the 603 is going to make you crap yourself or anything.

mmmmmmmmmm, not sure.
get something entirely new, like a quality dynamic or a cheap ribbon and branch out.
buy a new set of sdc's when you have more money.

You should try to put the mics closer to the guitar like maybe within a foot. That might get you more happy with the results.

The 603's are nice IMHO. Pick up a set of Omni capsules and you can get really really close without proximity effect making the guitar sound boomy.

The 603's are nice IMHO. Pick up a set of Omni capsules and you can get really really close without proximity effect making the guitar sound boomy.

Back