X/Y or ORTF? (details inside)

jrhager84

expert newb
I have a limited amount of inputs (8), and I have to conserve as much as possible. First off, a few reasons why I chose the mics and placements:

1 Kick mic (beta 52a)
1 Snare mic (sm57-beta57 *still torn*)
4 tom mics (e604's on rack toms, e609 for floor toms *doubled up*)
2 overheads (sm81's either in ORTF or X/Y)

I think I'm going to trigger a beater stab that I will record separately to get more "click" from the kick (not enough inputs to record on-the-fly, and it's not necessary if I can't get it)

I think depending on how I can get the overheads going, I will mic UNDER the snare for more snap from the wires (I have a 42strand snare)

My toms never get through the mix without destroying my other sounds, so I'm going to mic individually (except the floor toms) to control the sound better, as I'm very particular about my toms in the mix.

My question is this:

I'm using X/Y right now above my head, and it doesn't have a sharp enough spread IMO and the image isn't that great. I'm not sure how ORTF will sound (as it's too late to test now) and wanted to get something that will:

- give a sharp stereo spread free from phase cancellation
- the hats won't be TOO hard panned
- capture the top of the snare enough to where the under mic'd snare mic will balance it out
- get a decent amount of stick sound from the toms so the tom mics can capture the resonant characteristics of the toms w/o too much bleed from boosting higher frequencies.

Any suggestions? Thanks guys,

-Joel

Here, I'll post a pic as to why recorderman's method doesn't work for me.....

PIC00129.jpg

PIC00131.jpg

Any questions?

Have you tried the recorderman method, or are you just assuming it won't work? I see no reason why it wouldn't work with a bigger kit - you could always try it by lengthening the measurement used while still using the basic principle.

Had a horrible stereo spread... was WAY too close (even when I lengthened it to 3-4 sticks) I play left hand open, so I always was preoccupied with not hitting it, which screwed up my playing. I'll post a small clip of me playing with my current method (X/Y). Let me know what you think...

Please forgive timing concerns... I'm way burnt out...rough mix

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=9129

Doesn't sound real bad, and I don't know exactly what to suggest...I'm not a drummer, and only just recently got a kit. I record with 2 603's as overheads, and they sit behind me, one pointed at the snare, and one at the low rack tom. I have a 58 on the snare, and an e609 inside my kick. This is from a collab I'm woking on with Cyrokk...I suck as a drummer, but the sound seems to fit. No real processing, just tried to get levels pretty even, then ran it through a compressor to try and punch it up a little. Some Drums
Don't mind the playing too much, as I suck, but I think you can get a better sound with what you have. This is done in a bedroom, with no treatment.

HMMM Here is mine. Well my sons drums, my mics. How would you discribe my mic positions XY or just there??? In not a technical person :)

DCP_2335.jpg

Too much phase cancellation for my taste... I had used spaced pairs for a while... actually found that the X/Y config had a slightly better spread and more pronounced hats...

See, I have sm81's which are studio cardioid mics... I have the spaced pairs hooked up right now... I'll see what happens, and post a mix...

Play your drums and have someone stand in front of your kit until they find where it sounds most natural as a whole. Stick an ORTF setup there, about head height (5.5 - 6 ft) looking at the kit as if it was a person standing there watching you drum.

Play your drums and have someone stand in front of your kit until they find where it sounds most natural as a whole. Stick an ORTF setup there, about head height (5.5 - 6 ft) looking at the kit as if it was a person standing there watching you drum.

I was actually thinking about that, but I'm afraid my hats will be too hard panned... Have you had any luck with that setup?

Back