WTB: sm7b or re20

Timing is everything! Not just in recording ..... Guess that is where the saying *rowing in circles* comes from.

You aren't likely to be disappointed either way.

Personally i reach for the sm7b way more often than the RE20.
Moresound will tell you the opposite story.

They're both great mics; Well worth the money.

IMO, they're similar enough in application to be compared, but different enough to merit owning both! ;)

Owning both is a great option! right now I have 2 md421's and then this re-20. I want to add the md441 and sm7 to round out nice dynamics.

I'm in a similar boat. Two 421s, re20 and sm7b. I'm on the lookout for 441s now! lol.

You've got me thinking about my re20 again though. I was never convinced that it was wired properly, but i never found anyone brave enough to take theirs apart for comparison.

There are meant to be 3 terminals in the base for 50,150 and 250 ohm wiring, but mine doesn't have those terminals.
Instead there's a little circuit board, which doesn't match re20s documented schematics.

It sounds great, but it measures 35 ohms, and the roll off switch doesn't seem to do anything.

Ah well,,duno why i'm telling you this. Maybe a brave man with a toolkit and an re20 will see it!

Back