WTB: Recording Equipment

acho7

I am new to the forum and to recording. Any suggestions for a recorder, two microphones and a preamp (mixer?) to record voice and guitar work simultaneously? I need a modestly priced complete package, up to $1500, new or used.

Thank you.

A7

Most Poeple these days use there PC/Mac as there "Recorder" and just use an Interface to plug all there instruments and Mics into and software to Multi-Track.....

If this is the way you want to go then I suggest you check out the "Presonus Firepod" it has 8 Nice clean mic pre amps with phantom power for Condenser mics .....

With this unit and your PC and some recording software you will be able to record up to 8 Tracks at once which should be plenty , But make sure your PC has a Firewire port as the FirePod connects to your PC useing a Firewire Port......

As for Microphones it depends on what you are recording, For recording electric Guitar you might want to try the "SM57" but for Vocals you might want to try a LDC depending on the Type of Vocals they are....

You should be able to get all this Stuff for well below your Budget, actually for probably about Half of your Budget as the Firepod is about $600 or less and a SM57 is under $100, Some places might even throw in the Mic free with the Firepod......

Check it out.....

Cheers

Just know that the price of Firepods is likely to plummet once Presonus releases their Digimax FS and Firestudio pieces, as both will do what the Pod does and a whole lot more (and will street at $599).

That being said, I would also definitely advise against the packages. They are usually cheap junk bundled together to make the end user think they're getting a deal (wow, I get all this stuff!)

If you buy used you'll get much better bang for the buck and you won't need to upgrade in 6 months when you "outgrow" the sound.

If it were me, I'd buy a pair of Neumann KM184 ($850-900 used) and a Mackie Onyx 400F ($550 used, $650 or so new).

That gets you two very nice mics for acoustic guitars and instruments that will last you a long while, and a computer firewire interface with 192kHz capability that has 4 excellent preamps and very nice A/D converters (the same ones that are in the RME Fireface, by the way).

If you're not set on a stereo pair, get a single KM184 ($450 or so used) and then pick up a comparably priced mic to go with your voice. Can't really help much there though, as all mics are different and it will depend on your voice as to what sounds the best to you. What you really need to do is go somewhere and try out various mics and see if they work with your voice.

Good luck!

For mic recommendations, browse around in the mic forum - there's LOTS of info regarding just about every mic available, and LOTS of opinions about what they do well and don't do well.

tnjazz said:
That being said, I would also definitely advise against the packages. They are usually cheap junk bundled together to make the end user think they're getting a deal (wow, I get all this stuff!)

Not all of them. The JDSound bundle isn't bad. It's a free AT2020 along with a crappy stand and a cable. The stand is cheap, but it's better than nothing. The mic is pretty decent, IMHO. Sure, it's not a high-end mic, but it's a nice compromise between LDC and SDC mics that makes it a rather nice thing to have in your mic collection. $99 is nice, but free is better. :D

And, of course, their bundle is still at a price that makes it eligible for Presonus's special freebies when they have them going. When I bought mine, there was a deal where you could get a free HP4 by mail-in. Came up to a couple hundred worth of usable freebies plus a crappy mic stand. :D

The Mackie gets great reviews, though. Definitely worth a look.

dgatwood said:
Not all of them. The JDSound bundle isn't bad. It's a free AT2020 along with a crappy stand and a cable. The stand is cheap, but it's better than nothing. The mic is pretty decent, IMHO. Sure, it's not a high-end mic, but it's a nice compromise between LDC and SDC mics that makes it a rather nice thing to have in your mic collection. $99 is nice, but free is better. :D

And, of course, their bundle is still at a price that makes it eligible for Presonus's special freebies when they have them going. When I bought mine, there was a deal where you could get a free HP4 by mail-in. Came up to a couple hundred worth of usable freebies plus a crappy mic stand. :D

The Mackie gets great reviews, though. Definitely worth a look.

Agreed. What I guess I was trying to say is that a lot of times you can get all the elements of the bundle for less than the cost of the total package at MF if you shop at other on line places (not MF or ZZSounds, or any of the really commercial places)

For instance, a couple of weeks ago Sweetwater had open box Firebox units for $259 - full return policy, full manufacturer warranty, etc, etc.

Pro Audio Solutions had an open box Firepod for $499...you get the picture.

In the immortal words of Smokey: "You better shop around"...!

If you already have a computer with decent specs I'd use it to your advantage and buy a computer interface. The project recorders are often clunky and difficult to interface.

A Boss recorder? OK, I trust Boss to make good pedals but when it comes to recording gear I think I'd rather buy gear from a more well-known manufacturer - one that actually specializes in making said gear.

I would take anything recommended to you by ANY sales rep with a grain of salt, although the suggestion of C4's is a good one. These mics are well worth the investment.

Dirk

Back