WTB: decent single channel compressor for vocals & bass. recommendations welcome too!

zphillips

WTB: decent single channel compressor for vocals & bass. recommendations welcome too!

my only compressor, a DBX 166a, crapped out on me. I liked it OK, definitely was preferable to no compression on vocals, but I thought it was a little noisy and not as full sounding as an Ashly SC55 (I've tried one a couple times).

if you have a compressor in decent shape that you can let go on the cheap, I would love to buy it. it will get a lot of use.

if you don't have a compressor to offer but have an idea of some units I should look for, that would be helpful too.

thanks!

thanks! does it beef up bass a little bit? I'm looking for something that doesn't add noise but will fatten my bass semi-noticeably. think that's why I like the Ashly.

FWIW, I don't have one, but the RNC has an excellent reputation, is relatively inexpensive, and vocals and bass are the things it's supposedly especially good for. If I ever buy a hardware compressor, it will be first on the list, followed by a Joe Meek (very different application - highly colored). Hope this helps.

Back