tmj

I'm looking for:

$300-$800

at least 2ghz
at least 1gb ram
lots of storage, preferably on 2 hard drives
some sort of CD and/or DVD burner
USB and Firewire ports
preferably with some useful audio software, especially plugins, already installed

what ya got?

tmj, its a hard decision buying a computer for music. I never liked the idea and it took me along time just to submit to software, but I eventually did and now I like it alot.

I use a plain ol' off the self Dell Core2dual, dual 1.86ghz Conroe, XP Pro with 1 gig ram and a 256mhz graphics card, I do plan on adding a couple more gigs of ram soon. Buy as much extra ram as you can afford for processing Fx's etc. reverbs are a ram hawg. I got my Dell at the outlet store for $556...one to do ...make sure you "optimize" your puter for "music" after you set it up. Sweetwater has great guide for that on their website. Good luck.

I have a computer for sale. The bad part is...it needs a hard drive and RAM. It's a Dell. Fairly new. I'll sell it for $100 and you can easily get the RAM and HD for under $200.

I've built my last several computers and I definitely think its the only way to go. You know what components are in there and can easily upgrade it to meet you're needs.
I don't like Dell systems at all, they are not very upgradable and often parts are riveted in and they have terrible cooling systems for the most part especially the processor and motherboards. They don't seem to be built to last.:mad:

Might be able to part w/this one for $175 shipped, (in the continental US).Fresh install of Windows.
AMD 64 X32000 CPU socket 939
1.5 Gigs PC2100 DDR
Jetaway MOBO (has socket 939 and 775 capability)
80 GIG Maxtor HD
Creative CDRW
ATX mid tower
500watt power supply
OEM copy of Win XP home

Back