WTB: 2" Quantegy 499

Bguzaldo

Looking to buy as many 2" tapes of Quantegy 499 as I can. I am not interested in Ampex 499...too many SSS problems. GP9 would be alright and 996 if you can guarantee it. I've purchased a few reels of 996 that were problematic.

My number is 847 366-6253

Thanks,
-Barrett

Good luck. :D

Ebay is your best bet...but there's only the occasional reels that come up, mostly used tapes (not necessarily a bad thing)...and new reels rarely come up, and usually at a hefty price.

I have my 2" stock of 499, and I'm always looking for more reels (used or new)....so be quick if you see something on eBay. ;)

Here's two eBay listing for new reels....if you want to spend about $500 for three reels shipped:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Reels-QUA...415?pt=US_Other_Pro_Audio&hash=item2a3e38217f

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ampex-Quant...026?pt=US_Other_Pro_Audio&hash=item1e8cbd9e9a

I remember doing a record on Quantegy 2". It started flaking and so we baked it in the oven (or food dehydrator? - can't remember). Funny thing is the one song on the baked tape sounded better than the rest. Good times.

Yeah I managed to snag 3 reels at $35 a piece a few weeks ago which was amazing. Should have bought his whole stock but with SSS I never want to commit to too many used tapes at once.

I read a post around here by beck that claimed 499 never had a problem with SSS, ampex or quantegy. Is this true? There are a few reels of ampex 499 listed pretty reasonably on ebay if it's good stuff.

I run exclusively on Ampex 499, both 2" and 1/4". I have never had any problem with it in regards to SSS. And if you do a little reading around the forum you will see that 499 has not been identified as having those issues.

I started stockpiling it a couple years ago and now have more than a lifetimes supply. Two years ago it was very affordable in NOS. The hard part for me was/is finding it on 14" reels, which is what I prefer for projects.

*edit: the problem with ebay tapes are many: is it really what it says it is wound onto a reel? splices=worthless in my opinion.

i got a majority of mine from studios up in the LA area dumping all the tape they had. In the mix i acquired some truly awesome masters by very big names. Due to IP laws I cant do anything with them but enjoy them personally. I have fun once in a while remixing some big bands biggest selling albums.

Back