writing on acoustic

SacredDespair

okay, I'm sort of new at writing on an acoustic guitar, I already got the vocals done and have the underlying chords done on guitar. How do you usually go about making the acoustic guitar part from here? or do most people make the whole guitar part first? just curious to see what other people do.

We talkin about writing or recording?

If its writing, I don't think one comes specifically before or after the other... when I write stuff, I usually have an idea for a set of verse chords or chorus, or perhaps a more free-form idea, and then I start to shape lyrics to it, and see what kind of song its going to be, the topic, the tone, the point of view (if its a story, I suppose), etc. etc. Then I work on making the guitar part more complete, and then come up with more lyrics when the rest of the musical pieces are done.

As for actually going about writing the specific guitar part (beyond the chord progression), I don't have much advice... that's just the creative part. I usually don't write like that anyway - words & chords, then specific guitar part. Its usually "This is a funky little riff / progression, etc... I'll start to shape this". The musical idea is more than words and chords (to me, anyway), so the style of fingerpicking, or the melody line that accompanies on another guitar, etc., is sort of thought up in the process of writing that initial chunk of music, and it starts to take on a life of its own from there.

Good luck!

SacredDespair said:
okay, I'm sort of new at writing on an acoustic guitar, I already got the vocals done and have the underlying chords done on guitar. How do you usually go about making the acoustic guitar part from here? or do most people make the whole guitar part first? just curious to see what other people do.

I'm sort of confused because i'm not new to writing songs with an acoustic guitar, and when i write songs, i come up with a few chord changes for a verse, lyrics happen at the same time. Then, some chord changes and lyrics for a chorus.

Then i consider it a song.

If you are talking about taking that to a finished product then here are the next steps:

Decide on the type of arrangment. Will it have an intro, if so write it. How many verses will there be before the first chorus. Will there be a pre-chorus. Then the chorus. Will it return to a verse, a modified verse, or go to the bridge. No bridge? Write the bridge. When you leave the bridge, will it go to a chorus and end the song, or will you return to a verse, then a chorus and end the song.

Will the song be a 2min single, or a 15 min opus.

Then once all that is done, will the finished recording be you and your guitar playing your arrangement, or will you add other instruments. Write their parts. Arrange the accompianment (sp?).

When recording, what is the general sound you're looking for. Decide, then achieve it.

The reason why i said i was confused is because you and i write songs pretty much the same way. Most people on here write songs that way. Noodle around, then some changes you like, then some lyrics.

But the execution of that song into finished form; be that a recording, or a composition, can vary greatly between artist.

Basically, you are inventing yourself as an artist, and there is no right or wrong way, only your way.

Since the original question confused me a bit, I'm not sure if this will answer it or not. But I think getting basic chord changes, vocal melody and structure (verse, chorus, etc) figured out and recorded can help. You can then play it back and try to devlop the guitar part a bit more. Instead of strumming only, you may mix in some fills, specific picking patterns, etc. It all depends on the intended final outcome, though I suppose. I guess either way, for me listening to a rough outline of song, without having to concentrate on playing it, can open up your mind to new nuances to try. Just be sure to write them down, or record them.

This approach sometimes takes me MANY listens before something new jumps out. Recently, I was listening to a rough recording of a song I'd been playing for quite a while (a few months), when it hit me that it desperately needed a 2 bar triplet run right before the 2nd chorus. Now, I can't imagine the song without it. Sometimes it just takes time and over exposure. Other times you can write the song to perfection in 5 minutes.

andyhix said:
Since the original question confused me a bit, I'm not sure if this will answer it or not. But I think getting basic chord changes, vocal melody and structure (verse, chorus, etc) figured out and recorded can help. You can then play it back and try to devlop the guitar part a bit more. Instead of strumming only, you may mix in some fills, specific picking patterns, etc. It all depends on the intended final outcome, though I suppose. I guess either way, for me listening to a rough outline of song, without having to concentrate on playing it, can open up your mind to new nuances to try. Just be sure to write them down, or record them.

This approach sometimes takes me MANY listens before something new jumps out. Recently, I was listening to a rough recording of a song I'd been playing for quite a while (a few months), when it hit me that it desperately needed a 2 bar triplet run right before the 2nd chorus. Now, I can't imagine the song without it. Sometimes it just takes time and over exposure. Other times you can write the song to perfection in 5 minutes.

i agree with this andy. For me though, i absolutely HATE writing a song by recording it.

I'm of the mindset that i write the best songs when i conceive them, write the guitar or piano rythm and write the vocals as a whole.

For me, and my music, i'm at my best when, once the song is done, i can play it in front of a group of people with an acoustic, and the song stands on it's own without the need for production.

but i can see how it would be helpful to use the recorder as a "notepad" i just get frustrated because i feel i'm trying to do two things at once, and then both suffer.

moral of the story: find your own way :)

brendandwyer said:
i agree with this andy. For me though, i absolutely HATE writing a song by recording it.

I'm of the mindset that i write the best songs when i conceive them, write the guitar or piano rythm and write the vocals as a whole.

For me, and my music, i'm at my best when, once the song is done, i can play it in front of a group of people with an acoustic, and the song stands on it's own without the need for production.

moral of the story: find your own way :)
Yeah, just to clarify, I was, for the most part, talking about changing an existing part (ie acoustic git), not adding an additional layer. Sometimes for me, it's hard initially to coordinate my fingers and voice to do two different things, rythmically. It sometimes helps to break them apart (once the song is sorta written) and rework one or both of them. Then once the part's are written you can practice them together. Ultimately yielding still a good song with solo git and vox. But, yeah, find your own way...

cusebassman said:
Just use this guy to write your lyrics and focus solely on the music...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/dylanthomas/rpg/

Random Poem Generator

And slowly he goes sleeping
Into the cold cocklewomen,
Kissing while they burn
Quietly in the wise bones

And rarely the leaves of the shame
Walk finally in praise of the seashore
Streaking while they hang
Hazily into the tear-splashed goosefield

Back