writing horn parts for songs...

Salabim

Howdy All,

I've Recently started a swing / ska band and we are getting fairly heavily into it. We have started writing songs together and by ourselves...

I'm a drummer / Guitarist and so when it comes to writing the horn section, i tend to get a little stuck. We have a Sax and Trumpet, and i cant seem to get my head a round the whole Bb tuning thing for the trumpet...

can someone offer a simple explination for me?

Also, im tabbing it out using Cakewalk Pro Audio so i can print it for the guys to play off, do i tab it out as i would if it was to be played on a piano???

cheers
-Tim

In simple terms the trumpet sounds a major 2nd lower then written.
If your trumpet player sees on the sheet a middle "C", he will play it and it will sound a "Bb"

As for the sax - it would depend on what type (alt-tenor-etc.....).

Just write a major 2nd higher then what you want him to play (Trumpet).

Shailat gave you the deal, if you need more..

for trumpet: on the piano go up one whole step (c to d, Bb to C, E to F#, etc.) to get your key signature, then just start writing your music one line or space above the origninal (if you're on the 3rd line originally, use the 3rd space, 4th line goes to 4th space)

alto sax: go down a minor third (3 adjacent notes) to get your key sig and then write your original part as if it was in bass clef (3rd space C will be written on the 2nd space)

Tenor and soprano are basically the same as trumpet but you have a range issue with the tenor but the player should be able to help you on that one.

HOpe this helps

Back