writing a song to sing with piano

UNIQNESS

i'm trying to write a song to sing with piano and i'm not really sure how i'm supposed to write it. when i hear songs which singers sing the melody and play the piano/keyboard at the same time, they don't play the melody on their piano/keyboard. it seems like they play some kind of other melody and chords but the melody is not same melody the singer sings. my question is, if they are playing chords with left hands and singing melody with their voice, what does their right hand play? and how would i write all three parts on sheet music?

if you have no clue what i'm talking about, here's some examples: frankie J - don't wanna try, keith martin - because of you

thanks in advance.

Normally the left hand would be playing something like a bass line, and the right hand would be playing chords. If you just write a melody and chords, most piano players would be able to improvise an acceptable accompaniment. If there are specific "fills" you want played at certain times, you can write those out.

It's called an accompaniment. I rarely, if ever, play the melody against a singer (or lead instrument), and if I do, it's only for the ocassional effect.

Take a listen to just about anything Elton John did. In my humble opinion, he does it better than just about anyone I'm aware of at the pop side of things (you don't have to like the music:)

@fraser: interesting. so how do you generally approach it?

I'm getting involved with a band that has some songs already written (pretty standard alternative/indie rock fare with guitar & bass), and I'm trying to "fill in the gaps" with keyboards, but I'm finding it to be more challenging than I expected.

So I'm not really sure what a good angle to take is at this point. Do you have any suggestions (or should I go google "accompaniment")?

recombinant said:
@fraser: interesting. so how do you generally approach it?
I'm getting involved with a band that has some songs already written (pretty standard alternative/indie rock fare with guitar & bass), and I'm trying to "fill in the gaps" with keyboards, but I'm finding it to be more challenging than I expected.
So I'm not really sure what a good angle to take is at this point. Do you have any suggestions (or should I go google "accompaniment")?
Depends a lot on the style of music. Piano fills will be a combination of notes from the chord/key the song is in at the moment the fill is suppose to happen.
Lets say u have a rather slow pianoballad playing these chords:
C F/C Am F
After the last F the vocals takes a break but ther are still 3/4 left of the beat. You wanna fill it in. You will mainly stay in the F chord selecting presses from the 1,2,3, 4 and 5th tone of the F major key (F G A Bb C).
Others will also work (use your ear)
Press several of these at the same time or go for single strokes.
It must be mentioned - there are litterally hundreds of ways to make a fill in F. If not 1000 ands. Thats what makes music so beautiful. 12 keys=endless possibilities.
Listen to some Elton John. Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word has some nice fills.
Allmost any Elton Song do.

Same principle applies for allmost any genre, allthough certain genres have their own char. ways of doing this (I.E. Rock (old school) used the F Bb/F)

Bb/F=Bb chord or variation in right hand + F in bass)

Keep on.

recombinant said:
Post an MP3 of a short, short part of the song where u are to fill in, and im sure lots of people will put a fill on it and send it back.
At least I would.

Regards
Emusic

Back