Writers block...aargh

My life has changed too my friend! I no longer do the drugs....have a new wife (well, 9 years), another kid.......my older kids are playing music and I'm trying to point at least one of them in the right direction. My oldest son has taken on a sort of managerial role for his sister and consults with me. It's nice to have that instead of two kids out there runnin wide open like I did. My own personal music is getting better now that I am playing again on a daily basis. My writing has matured, and if nothing else acts as a kind of therapy for me. I have a lot of hard life experience to draw upon, most of which was self inflicted. As far as the rework is concerned.....uh they all sound like they are out of the 70's and 80's, which they are! It's tough re-writing with a more modern sound because I always end up writing a completely new tune. Forgive me for rambling.........It's just good to see someone else here that has had similar life experience.

bd

Probably the coolest thing is to recognose the maturity and depth that life experiences give us. If only some of them didn't hurt quite so much.
I was recording a bloke the other day there...he's had quite a life...and he's singing this moody slow number, not self penned but self arranged. There were tears in this guys eyes while he was singing. By the end of the session there were tears in mine.
This type of stuff hardly ever happens but I think it changes you when it does.
Experience +accurate expression and communication through song is so damn powerfull.
I truly beleive that this can help to change attitudes and turn our individual pain to preventing or helping others avoid the same mistakes.
Me, I think I'm gonna spend some time with my family today.....
Much respect,

Iain

I've know one person who would do that on some songs.
When he did it his voice changed and I got goose bumps. I felt what he was singing. Strange.

I had a creative writing class and the teacher would have us start each class by writing stream of consciousness for the 1st 5 minutse of class. You could not stop writing for 5 minutes, if you could not think of anything, you would write that over and over, but you usually got bored and went off on a poetic tangent, or wrote about how you were bored, but by the end there was always something interesting. Maybe try that a bit, and pick out the good parts. Thats how I always write. Its a jumble of phrases, but then I edit it down and pick out the good parts and move it around.. Seems to work. I also found alcohol doesnt seem to help much, i tend to be melow dramatic with I'm drunk. Not good...

Also, learning a song always gives me new ideas.

badgas said:
I've know one person who would do that on some songs.
When he did it his voice changed and I got goose bumps. I felt what he was singing. Strange.

i've had this happen once to me, me and a friend were playing, and i just started making up a song about a friend about to die.

we both had tears in our eyes at the end of the song. There was also about 10 minutes of silence and rememberence afterwards.
its still brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it.

When a proformance or song is like that its something you never forget for your life.

BTW what i do when i get bad writers block is i go out of my way to do something completely different, something that i wouldn't normally be doing on a regular day.

you know..I was reading through this wee post...an' I'm thinking..how incredibly lucky we all are to have something as powerfull as musical talent and through that the opportunity to have these kinds of experiences.

It's easy to bitch about the bad day in the studio, the crap session, the day the DAW crashed and lost the day's work.

But really, we can all probably think back to times when music transported us out of ourselves, made us greater than we are and took us to an incredible place.
It's better than any drug and no hangover.

Amazing.

I can feel the writers block unblocking....

Iain

You are right Jimihey and artist's are an odd lot. It brings to mind a musician friend of mine trying to convince my wife who is a linguist that she should be a writer. Listening to them I thought of how common it is for artists to proselytize. I think this is due in part to those transcendental experiences and a desire to share them. It is funny too that you never hear anyone say "you should be a writer because writers block is terrific!"

I think that being artistically expressive is inherent, and I find it hard to figure out how 'the others' (those who aren't outwardly artistic) are happy not doing anything creative.

Most of my friends are either musicians, artists or actors, and we were talking one day about how cranky and pissed off we get when we can't get in and paint/play/whatever. As corny as it sounds, I perceive the artistic freaks of this world as being more in touch with themselves and the human condition as such.

Well I'm just warbling on again but this is something a whole heap of us have spent a lot of time talking about so I thought I would through in my five cents worth...I have the weekend free now so I think I'll go eat pancakes and play bass till my fingers fall off :D

Back