Wow! Ashly CL52E, What a huge difference it has made.

RawDepth

I am very picky about my compression. Sometimes I'll spend an hour or more just to get a single vocal or instrument track sounding perfect. Then the 2-bus takes even more tweaking until I am happy. (Yes, I know what I am doing. I've been using compressors for over 20 years and I think I've read every article on the planet about them.) Maybe it's because all of my in-the-box compressors are just so so.

Anyway. I picked up an old Ashly CL52E, hardware compressor for next to nothing and, like I've said, wow! Everything I've run through it so far sounds absolutely superb...better than my plugins. I run the desired track out to the Ashly and then return it back to a new track. It's a stereo box, so I can do the Master bus the same way. It's a bit more trouble and time consuming, but well worth it.

I don't want everything that I do to start sounding the same but, this will probably become my go-to compressor from now on.

Thumbs up.

Last edited:
I have an Ashly CLX-52 and I love it. Easily the best compressor in it's price range. I use it in my home studio. Mostly I use it to tame bass and vocals. Very smooth and transparent.

Back