Would YSM1's be an upgrade over Event ALP5s?

marshall409

Very subjective I know...There's a pair of YSM1s for sale locally for 150 which I know is a good price. The woofers have been upgraded to the yorkville driver thats currently in the YSM6 model. I've had my ALP5s for a year now and they're good but I don't feel they're going down low enough for me to hear what's going on in the low mids-lows.

Anyone wanna chime in on whether or not the yorkville's might be an upgrade?

Thanks,

Adam

arent the ALP5 powered?

The YSM1's are passive?

YSM1P are powered...
if the Yorks are powered for $150 I'd definately get those, if only because their so cheap. I've had a pair for years and really enjoyed them. Years ago highly recommended and a great "budget" speaker. And I had a few $1000 pairs at the house (which were slightly better...but not a million times better.)

but I'll guess these are YSM1 passive, non amplified speakers for $150...so you'll need a really nice stereo amp$$$$.

I'm still mixing on my old YSM-1's. I've had several pairs over the years.
It would be nice if you could A-B them side by side.

I think for $150 you should pick them up. It would be nice to have more speakers to bounce a mix through. I have the ALP5's also and do not like the low end. So much so, in fact, that my advice to people shopping for monitors is to not buy 5 inch speakers.

Back