Would you tell me not to get an Alesis MidiVerb?

Xplora

I want a reverb mainly for live guitar, which is MIDI channel assignable, and a rack unit (because I have a Triaxis setup); and maybe use for a bit for some recording (mixer FX loop?).

Is the MidiVerb gunna cut it? It really only needs to be 3/4's decent, because I can't afford a major kickass unit. I'm picky but I'm not sure I can justify the enormous expense - its only for clean processing really, and delays on leads.

LWH

What model of Midiverb are you talking about ? The Midiverb came out in 1986 and was kind of artificial sounding but lot's of people bought it because it was under $400.

have you thought about a behringer virtualizer? its about $250 cdn, so its maybe >$200 us. its a great unit, very realistic with a whole wack of effects. its 24 bit and i would say i like it better than the midiverb 4

lates
matt

Cave Dweller said:
have you thought about a behringer virtualizer? its about $250 cdn, so its maybe >$200 us. its a great unit, very realistic with a whole wack of effects. its 24 bit and i would say i like it better than the midiverb 4

lates
matt
I disagree, it's usable, but hardly realistic......

Bruce

If you only want to use if for reverb. You may find it acceptable. I was able to dial in a decent Reverb patch for guitar with it. All the other effects didn't cut it for quitar, and not more than one effect at a time. It's not a pro piece of gear but it might suffice. I recently replaced it with something better, which let me hear the difference. But I also paid major $$ for it. Can you try this gear and others out somewhere? If so I would try some others and see.

I will be definitely demo'ing it at a store first, that's a given. Artificial sounding doesn't sound very cool to me. The unit would definitely need to be able to run a decent Chorus, and it doesn't sound like the midiVerb will do it. Is it likely to be worth my time to save up for the TC electronic M One (my original plan) ? Its just that the unit costs TWICE as much, and I'm unsure whether its such a hot idea (i'm not making a lot of money as it is).

LWH

I was going to suggest the same thing. I always hesitate suggesting the "spending more money" route because if a person had the extra money they would very likely be looking at items in that price range. But like myself, sometimes in the long run it's more cost effective to spend now and get what's going to the job then realize later and have to spend it all over again anyways.(usually costing more) The unit I got was a TC Gforce. They really make great sounding processors. I haven't tried the M-One, although I'm sure it will blow the Midiverb away. Also I've seen that they have a new Guitar processor called the G-Major. They are advertising it as an affordable Multi-FX unit. I don't know what these are going for. I'm actually curious if it is a replacement for the Gforce or a lower cost unit less feature version. I think the later is the case. Might be worth a look.

One other thing the Midiverb can do more effects at one time it just seeemed to me that the sound went downhill fast as you added more effects.

Good shopping

The Lexicon MPX-500 absolutely blows away the M*One. I A/B'd those units extensively about 8 months ago - and they are at about the same price point (well, ok, the Lexi is a bit more, but it's worth it...)

Bruce

virtual.ray said:
I've seen the MPX500 in more than one ad recently for $399.99,but that's still a ways away from $129 for the Behringer.
Yeah, and a good 5-6 times better-sounding!!!

Man, $400US is a good price - when I got mine they were WAY higher..........

Bruce

"5 or 6 times better"??

That would have to be pushing it a little.

PCM91 would be that.

Having said that 8th street music has the MPX-500 for $399, Yeah worth a look. One other thing now that you're spending more money another thing to look at besides sound are features such as user interface. This can really make a difference in the useability of piece of equipment.
http://www.8thstreet.com

Chris N said:
"5 or 6 times better"??

That would have to be pushing it a little.

PCM91 would be that.
[/url]

Agreed, but I wasn't using price as the ratio factor! (more to the point of the level of sound quality difference)
I guess I should have used a smilie!

:)

Bruce

[Edited by bvaleria on 01-23-2001 at 05:50]

Back