Would this do anything for me?

BRX rad

PreSonus Firebox 24-bit/96kHz FireWire Recording System

http://www.music123.com/PreSonus-FIR...25347.Music123

I want to know if this would improve my recordings in anyway. I record with drum mics going directly into a mixer, and then that goes directly into my laptop via the line-in, so everything gets recorded onto one track. I'm not in a position to make an investment in something like a Firepod at this point, although I hope to multi-track one day. I also use Garageband which is crap, so to make getting something like a Firepod worth while, I should get new recording software as well, and I'm not ready to spend money on that either.

The firebox was recommended to me a while back, but I was never really was given any detail on it. With the way I record onto a single track, would it improve anything at all?

Last edited:
It would be worthwhile.

You say that Garageband is crap . . . but that's most likely because you are using the line in of your laptop, not Garageband itself.

Danger, danger. The FireBox cannot be bus powered from recent Macs because Presonus screwed up the hardware. (It draws too much power on startup, so the Mac thinks the port is shorted and shuts off the port.) I'd suggest supporting a more Mac-friendly company. If you're looking for something low end, you might consider something from Edirol.

(If you've already bought the FireBox, don't fret. You can make it work by using the external power supply, though I would recommend stepping down to 4-pin FireWire and back up to be safe.)

Danger, danger. The FireBox cannot be bus powered from recent Macs because Presonus screwed up the hardware. (It draws too much power on startup, so the Mac thinks the port is shorted and shuts off the port.) I'd suggest supporting a more Mac-friendly company. If you're looking for something low end, you might consider something from Edirol.

(If you've already bought the FireBox, don't fret. You can make it work by using the external power supply, though I would recommend stepping down to 4-pin FireWire and back up to be safe.)

Hmmm ok. Thanks...

Yeah. You have to be careful about that kind of stuff. I have 2 Firepods that I bought used. One off of ebay and one from a guy here on the forums. Both work perfectly.

Back