Would really appreciate some help getting balance!

landoincommando

Hello my fellow recording geeks. I'm working on an album and I'm having trouble getting a good balance and good warmer sound in this mix. Would really appreciate from feedback! The bass is a Fender Jazz Bass recorded DI, then reamped, guitars were a Fender Mustang with Cab simulations turned off using third party Catharsis cab impulses, Piano is a Yamaha One (I think), with midi violins. Haven't recorded vocals yet, but already have written them. Would really like to warm up this mix. View attachment Song 3.mp3

Last edited:
"Warmth" usually comes from the low-mid range. (maybe 150-500 hZ)

I would mess around with bumping up those frequencies in the instruments that are meant to be warm (guitars, maybe piano). Other frequencies may also need to be bumped down on those tracks (the low, boomy ones and the high brittle ones).
You may have some luck turning down the mid frequencies on instruments that aren't meant to be warm (e.g. the violins) so that they don't interfere with the guitars etc.

I hear in the first guitar a frequency that kinda sticks out . If you take an eq with a smallish q setting and drag it across the top range you will hear that frequency "ring" like a bell . Drop the level of that frequency and you will here it clear up . There is the part where the dirty guitar comes in .My ear wants to hear it with a little more distortion . Its way too loud , I would re-track that guitar . It's out of sync with the beat .

Back