would going from layla 24 to a digi 001 be a downgrade?

spoonie g

I've been offered a digidesign 001 system with pro-tools LE, etc. Would this be a downgrade in sound quality? I know the 001 has 48k sampling rate in comparison to the Layla's 96k....

Last edited:
IMHO I beleieve you would be upgrading. I don't know too much about the Layla except from what I have seen at GC but I do know alot about Pro Tools and the Digi001. The Digi001 most likely has way better A/D converters and comes with the best recording software on the market in Pro Tools. If you get Pro Tools you give your studio instant credibility.

night'schild said:
IMHO I beleieve you would be upgrading. I don't know too much about the Layla except from what I have seen at GC but I do know alot about Pro Tools and the Digi001. The Digi001 most likely has way better A/D converters and comes with the best recording software on the market in Pro Tools. If you get Pro Tools you give your studio instant credibility.

Yet another victim fallen prey to AVIDS clever marketing schemes :(

I've used the 001 and the Layla, and I must say (IMO) that the converters in most Echo products are a step up from those found in the 001. And as for Protools LE, I find it limiting and dated as far as features go in comparison to most software out on the market today ie: Sonar, Cubase, Nuendo.

So IMHO I think you'd be taking a step down

:confused: :confused:

Clit Torres said:
Yet another victim fallen prey to AVIDS clever marketing schemes :(

I've used the 001 and the Layla, and I must say (IMO) that the converters in most Echo products are a step up from those found in the 001. And as for Protools LE, I find it limiting and dated as far as features go in comparison to most software out on the market today ie: Sonar, Cubase, Nuendo.

So IMHO I think you'd be taking a step down

:confused: :confused:
thanks. that's kind of what I was thinking.

Protools seems to have alot of little clever features that saves alot of time. Its a great piece of software. The user interface is much better than Cubase or Nuendo... but then again, with a steinbeg system your hardware and plugins will still work when you update your software. For the home user I think cubase is better.... A protools TDM or HD system is the only way to go with protools, and I think thats pretty much out of reach for most project studio owners... especially since the 20 grand in hardware you just bought wont work with the new version of software that comes out in 3 years!

I use Layla 24/96 going to Cakewalk 9.0.

I had looked at the Digi 001/Pro Tools LE (I thought Pro Tools would be a more "universal application") but I could not convince myself that it was an upgrade.

While the Layla converters are not the best, I don't think the 001 are an improvement. People see "Pro Tools" and think wow - but the LE is a rather basic application.

Six of one, half dozen of the other. There have been great sounds recorded on both.

There was a site that measured sound in and sound out and calibrated the harmonic differences between the two...with the less changes between the two being the better. The Echo product performed at the top of scale, bested only by one other available product...which I don't know if it even exists anymore. Pro Tools was not tested, but I'll bet it would roughly be equal to the Layla, which as I said earlier, tested about as high as it gets.

The other components of the recording process are far more important than the distinction between these two products. I would not trade one for the other. I'd consider it a lateral move.

K-

I think the real answer is why bother. I think the Digi 002 is a nice system. I think the Mbox doesn't suck. But, the old Layla is discontinued. The Digi 001 is discontinued. I think the Layla sounds a tad better.

ozraves said:
I think the real answer is why bother. I think the Digi 002 is a nice system. I think the Mbox doesn't suck. But, the old Layla is discontinued. The Digi 001 is discontinued. I think the Layla sounds a tad better.

Or is it the summing bus in the program you use better? If you don't use the dithering summing bus in protools, a cubase or nuendo system will sound silky smooth in comparison.

i got told that protools is alot more stable than other apps,
but mhhh,, cubase sx 2.0 never crashed on my machine, not yet,
i might be real lucky, or maybe i'm being real prudent,,,,
i think its mostly the Name that does a big job,,,,
whats the difference between saying
"i got a PROTOOLS studio"
and
"i got a cubase studio"

mhhh, everyone seems to work with cubase, and protools sounds more pro to the mainstream people

but in the end,,,you gotto impress your costumers with sound,
not the name of the soft you're using :)

Back