Would appreciate advice for basic setup.

cbsteeler

Hi Folks,

I'm regretably on a never ending low budget & am considering buying a new DAW computer & would very much appreciate your advice & opinions on the following...

First of all, I have an M-Audio Audiophile 2496. I'll use the computer strictly for audio except an available nic (spl?) card. That's it except for outboard guitar modeler, ART mic pre, mics etc. I want to use Cubase SX & Windows XP.

1. I want an AMD Athlon 2000 (or so) cpu with about an 80 gig, 7500 rpm hard drive (one drive for now) & 512 of ram, DDR I guess. Am I correct in assuming that the general consensus of this forum is that the nForce2 chipset is the most recommended? Not trying to start a chipset argument here. Having said that, it may be that in my neck of the woods the cheapest available package would be an Athlon with the VIA KM400 chipset. If my info is correct, I understand that the VIA troubles occurred before this chipset was available & that the KM400 works fine.

2. NVidia & Asus are different brands of motherboards. Is this correct?

3. Could someone give me a brief laymen explanation of what a "raid controller" is & where & when it's required in a DAW setup?

4. What is the least expensive way to get two video monitors running with XP. My buddy got two monitors running in Windows ME by adding a PCI video card to combine it with the onboard video that I have in another AMD with a VIA KLE133 chipset. Is this still possible with XP or do I need to buy a dual head card?

5. How critical is the hard drive cache for audio recording? Can I get away with a 2 meg cache or should I go as high as possible? I may end up running at least 16 full tracks at a time.

Re/AMD Athlon 1800+ 1.53 mhz w/KLE133/3112 chipset mentioned above...
For the past two weeks I have been experiencing nightmare blue screens...BAD_POOL_CALLER, PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA & other blue screen horror stories that occur at random & in no particular order...files not copying during windows setup after reformatting...on & on. I've tried everything & talked to everyone. It's pretty much done me in & I'm very close to buying a new DAW. I'm not asking for a diagnosis. By the end of the weekend, if I haven't fixed it, the Athlon 1800+ wins the battle & I'll be moving on to the gear listed above. Got to make music not lose my mind :-)

So...if you've made it this far in the post I would very much appreciate your advice & opinions in items 1 to 5.

Thanks for your time,
CBSteeler

Back