Worst sounding Cd's ever

Smashing Pumpkins - Zeitgeist
Soooo badly produced! The whole album has way too many layer vocals that are way to loud, and the drums have no depth at all! Roy Thomas Baker did that one, he must just be getting old because he did Bohemian Rhapsody and other amazing stuff back in the day...

Also, my girlfriend was listening to some band called OK Go the other day and I noticed that it was one of the worst mixes I've ever heard... not sure what album or anything.

Some things evolve, and some things just wear out ;) Metallica and U2 are not in the "evolved" column in my book
I'm not defending either band, because I really don't give a crap about either one of them, but one person's "wearing out" is another person's "evolution". It's only a subjective matter of taste.

The point is, for anyone who creates music and doesn't just perform it, change happens. To expect otherwise is just plain unrealistic. And complaining about it is just as silly as complaining that the sun will rise again tomorrow.

G.

Though not a CD, this song always stood out as being incredibly badly mixed, I mean, it's in the garbage can at Jack in the Box:

That's a song you do not hear whatsoever nowadays, but around '78 that song was played ad nauseam in discos and any club that stayed open to 4 am, and it always packed the dance floor. To me it wreaks of someone copying Rick James sound in Superfreak and the other hits he had around then.

I'm not defending either band, because I really don't give a crap about either one of them, but one person's "wearing out" is another person's "evolution". It's only a subjective matter of taste.

The point is, for anyone who creates music and doesn't just perform it, change happens. To expect otherwise is just plain unrealistic. And complaining about it is just as silly as complaining that the sun will rise again tomorrow.

G.

I am not complaining. I am just stating that they should just STFU because their music is simply NOT GOOD.

Again refer to my Michael Schumacher comeback example. The guy is getting his ass handed to him by his teammate on every race this year. I am saying the guy is having difficulty racing, you are saying "his driving style has changed"... Bottom line is, rookies are running circles around him this year.

Change of style has nothing to do with the fact that Bono can't sing a single note in tune. That's not a matter of oppinion, that's a fact. It's painful. He needs to STFU.

I am not complaining. I am just stating that they should just STFU because their music is simply NOT GOOD.

I don't think you can really go ahead and state that as fact the way you have. Musical is all about opinion. It's not that they're NOT GOOD, it's that YOU DON'T LIKE IT.

(I'm not even sure which band we're talking about here. But my point stands regardless.)

Anyway....moving on...evolution....wearing out....these are all words that make me think 'who gives a flying fuck'. Music is music. If you like it you like it, if you don't you don't. Arguing about whether a band is any good or not or 'them now vs them then' is probably more pointless than arguing about politics. Don't like it? You don't have to listen to it, so don't. The fact that other people are going to should be of no consequence to anyone.

What was this thread about again?

Whether you personally care for the recent works of either U2 or Metallica, they're entitled to make a living. You keep alluding to some failed racecar driver, but as far as I know these two bands are still selling a shit-ton more CD's and concert tickets (per show) than most bands out there, so it's not like they're, I don't know, coming in last place or something. And yeah, I get it, you don't think much of the newer records. So that means they should end their careers?

I don't think you can really go ahead and state that as fact the way you have. Musical is all about opinion. It's not that they're NOT GOOD, it's that YOU DON'T LIKE IT.

(I'm not even sure which band we're talking about here. But my point stands regardless.)

Anyway....moving on...evolution....wearing out....these are all words that make me think 'who gives a flying fuck'. Music is music. If you like it you like it, if you don't you don't. Arguing about whether a band is any good or not or 'them now vs them then' is probably more pointless than arguing about politics. Don't like it? You don't have to listen to it, so don't. The fact that other people are going to should be of no consequence to anyone.

What was this thread about again?
Bono not singing in tune is not an opinion.

I was going to put one in for Zeitgeist by the Smashing Pumpkins.

I have heard a plethora of modern music over the past few years, and this one definitely takes the cake. I can't believe how smashed it is (lol). Californication is second, for me.

Alison Krauss - New Favorite

I loves me some Alison, but I stopped playing it in the car because I was reaching for the volume knob every 5 seconds.

Alison Krauss - New Favorite

I loves me some Alison, but I stopped playing it in the car because I was reaching for the volume knob every 5 seconds.

Do you like how the cd sounds? Were you reaching for the volume because it is mastered on the conservative side or to loud?

Just curious because I like the Plant - Krauss cd "Raising Sand" - but somewhere along the production process it got a little crunchy.

I imagine that's not the case with her newer stuff?

The new Brandon Body album is simply the worst sounding mastering job ever. It literally sounds like an L2 farting. Its the first cd that I have actually heard "normal non-audio engineer" people complain about the distortion. It really sucks to because the songs are excellent. After listening to this death magnetic will seem quiet.

itunes.com/brandonboyd

Check it out for yourself its pretty bad.

^ +1

I had mentioned that in post #27.. He says on his facebook page that it was a production decision. ..things that make you go Hmmm.

Three more candidates that spring to mind. Firstly, 1975's "On your feet or on your knees" by Blue Oyster Cult. It sounds like it was recorded by someone who had access to two good quality mics and just set them up at the back of whichever hall or auditorium the band were playing in at various points on their tour. Sonically, the quality is decidedly ropey, you forget the band even had a bass player while his drumming brother is audible - but at times, just. The organ weaves in and out but the guitars are heavy and trebly.
But it's one of the best live LPs ever in my opinion because despite the sonic flaws, the songs and the playing are so wonderful and thirty years on, I wouldn't change a bit of it. It would almost spoil it if was all clear !

The Mothers of Inventions' "Piqueantique" is another live offering that is close to shitty sonically. It was only the second CD I ever bought. But there's a good reason for it's less than stellar production....:D. It was originally a bootleg, recorded by some ne'er do well {:eek:} in Sweden in 1973. Frank Zappa hated bootleggers and came up with the bright idea of rather than ranting about bootlegging and trying to fight them, he'd snap up the odd copy....and release it as an official album ! Genius ! Whose going to fight him in court ? ! Like the Blue Oyster cult one, whatever sonic flaws may be present, these are scotched by the utter brilliance and comedy of the music. There's a hilarious bit where on the last song, the band apparently makes a mistake so he makes them go back to the part and do it again ! Sounds identical to me......

I'm from one of the generations that didn't necesarilly expect pristine clarity with every recording. We took what we got and just grooved to the music. It didn't honestly occur to some of us that some of these recordings were not all they could be. And in truth, just as some engineers are better at capturing sounds than others, some mastering dudes are better at mastering than others. But this live CD by the MC5 is unrescuable. I can't remember what it's called. It might be "Teenage lust". I can't swear to it, I just can't recall. I got it out from the library around '99/2000 and it was sonically awful, painful to listen to. I thought my speakers had blown or something. There was no bass at all, it just sounded like the fizz of beer when a bottle is opened but amplified by 135,000 decibels. I was murderous when I heard "Looking at you". I wasn't sure who I wanted to violently assault more - the band for that racket, whoever recorded it, or whoever decided to let it go out like that. I know often the audiences were out of their trees but this was "extracting the urine", big time !

I haven't heard the newer Metallica but I don't get the And Justice talk. That CD sounds great to me. I don't care if it is deemed too loud. It's supposed to be fucking loud.

John Williams (the classical guitarist) came out witha CD that sounds like ass a few years back. It's just harsh and loud. For classical guitar, volume wars are awful. For Metallica? Eh.

I also always thought the old deep purple albums sound like poop IMO. And those guys rock IMO, but their mixes are not so great.

Back