Worst sounding Cd's ever

It's chock full of digital clipping. You can get the guitar hero version which isn't all squashed, but I still think it sounds generic. The guitars sound kinda flabby, the bass (like alot of metallica) is buried and Lars brings another lackluster simplistic performance. It aint the trainwreck that St. Anger was but it still kinda sucks.

That's a pretty good looking waveform compared to most of the waveforms nowadays!

126590143.jpg

187631323_7a2357d68c_o4aa2.jpg

Unbelievable...

Is there anywhere I can listen to clips of Death Magnetic online, so I can judge for myself? I've just listened to a so-called high-quality version of one of the tracks on Youtube and it was absolutely fucking horrible - surely that's not how the real record sounds? :confused:

Hi ya'll

I have not heard of some of the popular entries hear but from my clan ( me and my brother), he always hated the 1st CD issue of Agualung by Jethro Tull. Don't know if there has been a better remastering of it? I would like to say how shitty the album Diver Down by Van Halen sounds, They are a band that deserves the right potent mix but alas, Diver Down sounds too compressed me thinks.

Oh well, all these anomalies give work for eq's; it's geeky fun to try to doctor up weak frequencys

Those that dont fully understand digital sampling and harmonics shouldn't really even comment on a thread like this. Analog recording does capture more harmonics and produce its own distortion. Digital at 24/96 does a better job at capturing the full order of harmonics but still leaves out some harmonics.What you get is more accuracy but less warmth. Such as the case with guitar amps. Solid state are co-planar, too efficient and create undesirable distortion.

Everyone jumps on the Death Magnetic bandwagon of hate. I've never heard it. I hate Metallica. Surely it aint that bad, huh?

I like it. I don't think it sounds like regular Metallica. I think the songs are solid, simple, and ballsy sounding. Which considering they hadn't released anything with any balls in years, is somewhat of a landmark for them. And although I'm generally opposed to these extremes of loudness, I think in this instance it kinda adds something to the whole balls to the wall approach they went for. It takes something else away for sure, but it adds something. And lets be honest, with those kinda of tunes, I can't say I'm overly fussed about dynamics. Like I say, it's pretty much all balls to the wall anyway. It might make the guitar sounds shitty at times, but Metallica with shitty sounding guitars is nothing all that new.

ZZ Top

In the late eighties or early nineties, some unqualified person "remastered" the six ZZ Top albums then extant. Apparently, to this person, this is the definition of mastering: Go to the Musician's Friend website. Order the cheapest rack reverb - or better yet - "multi f/x processor". Now absolutely slather the reverb across the master buss. Sink it all in a sea of cheap sounding early digital reverb. Put the six damaged-beyond-repair discs in a box and sell it at an inflated price, bases on the 'remastering". What a godawful racket. The Reverend must have shit his chaps when he heard that travesty.

Luckily, a wiser person saved the master tapes, and they were once again issued in listen-able condition. Good thing, cuz Reverend Gibbons is one of the best players alive and an absolute master of electric Texas blues.

I'm voting for The Agony Scene's 'The Darkest Red'. You think 'Death Magnetic' is bad? 'The Darkest Red' has the worst, loudest, overlimited mastering job I've ever heard. I like the music, but the mastering fucked it all up. Like someone somewhere said "priority #1 is loudness, everything else can fuck off". You can hear the limiter pumping all the way through. Seriously, it's fucking terrible.

I agree the mastering on this album is horrendous. But, it is still one of my favorite metalcore albums.

Ive got the deluxe version which i think is the remastered plus the full Tommy from the same gig??

Its Moon at his finest and forget live, its better sounding than most studio albums of the era imo

:
The "expanded" Live at leeds with the extra 8 tracks released in 1995 sounds excellent while the "deluxe edition" (released in 2001)with the full Tommy performnace on disc 2 sounds absolutely terrible.They used far too much noise reduction and it's got that "under water" watermark sound to it!Disc 1 is ok as they used the same source as the '95 release.Get the 1995 "expanded" one.Can't go wrong with that!

Hmmmm I have the 2001 2-disc version. I've never heard the older versions. It sounds loud and compressed, but I figured that was because it was The Who live....how can they possibly sound dynamic?

I also read somewhere that the reason they took so long to release the whole concert was because some of the songs had glitches or were incomplete. Then for the 2001 release they had Pete, Roger, and John come into the studio and actually record some stuff to fill in those spots. It was kind of disappointing to hear (if it is true) but considering I couldn't even hear the difference I'd say they did a good job with it.

i tried to listen to death magnetic and goddamn, metallica has just gone to hell over the past 20 years...the last 2 albums i find to be unlistenable....

as much as it hurts me to say, Rush vapor trails was victim to a terrible mastering job too... what sucks is i feel they had some very strong songs there but, unfortunately i can't listen to that album without getting sick of it..... unlike their 70's and 80's records which i can't stop listening too... i listened to Vt for about 6 months and just decided to never play it again... naturally, their subsequent live albums have sounded like wet fart too....

californication too...but i'm not as offended as they haven't put out anything good since 91 anyway.

but to really take the cake I would say, pretty much anything Ministry has released in the past decade has just been unlistenable ass.

wait... no i take that back...

nearly every screamo/post hardcore/insert blank_core here album.... i swear, emo kids must fucking hate music.

but to really take the cake I would say, pretty much anything Ministry has released in the past decade has just been unlistenable ass.

wait... no i take that back...

nearly every screamo/post hardcore/insert blank_core here album.... i swear, emo kids must fucking hate music.

I'm pretty sure the master houses felt the same way when the cd came onto their workstation... who WOULD want to master that, I don't really think they really require any "loudness".

Todd Rundgren - A wizard, A True Star

I had the same experience after I listened to Todd Rundgren's "A Wizard A True Star" Reel to Reel. The sound quality was jaw dropping. All those years hearing LP's cassettes, 8 tracks and CD's of this album and the reel to reel was the most positive listening experience! I burned that reel onto a MFSL gold disc and have it archived!
I'm wondering if I could get a copy of TR's Wizard from RTR you spoke of; maybe we could trade. I know the Reel has to sound amazing.
Thanks.

Many people...including the band and read James Hetfield in a Guitar magazine back in around 1990 hated the production and mix of ...And Justice For All. To me, it's a pretty interesting album and not just because I like it. Yes, the bass it very flat. The first problem is no Cliff Burton and you have Newsted playing with a pick and mimicking Hetfield's rhythm guitars most of the time. Listen on Youtube to this album with "enhanced bass". Sounds much better. Many people hate the drums...think it's cardboard sounding. I think they sound really good. Not as good as the S/T album but interesting and the snare sounds awesome and the bass drum is deep. The guitars are in your face. Name a Metallica album where the guitars are heavier.

A bad one would be Death Magnetic. Best album since the S/T but the 2000's digital recording era vs the analog recording days give metal albums a bad name with this type of overbearing hard limiting and artificial effects. I still don't know what Rick Rubin did on this album or why his name was attached to this but the sound and harshness of this album is garbage. There are many radio core metal rock bands with crap compression and limiting like Nickleback comes to mind. I'm quite tired of it.

Best Metallica album sound wise: S/T. Love or hate Bob Rock this album took a year to record and mix it seemed and was worth it. Best album overall by Metallica: Master of Puppets. Great big sound and great album especially for the time.

Back