Worst change to a guitar made by the manufacturer?

Ah - that explains why my home-made is so heavy - a 2" plank of ash laminated to a 1" plank of mahogany. I wasn't aware they drilled LPs out as a matter of course. I love the weight of mine - the heavier the better. I even have a solid brass cover plate over the electrics cavity. :D

You got any pics of it? Sounds like a "SteamPunk" guitar.

Hmmm, chambered guitars... do we want to get into a discussion about Tone Chambers.

I'll weigh my Crimson at some point and see how heavy it is and my Washburn. My Washburn is really heavy - the only guitar I've played that was heavier than my old Tele - which was really heavy.

I'm gonna test a 2016 Les Paul at lunchtime today.

I think part of what makes them cumbersome for some people is that they're heavy and also have no contours for comfort. There are no arm-rest bevels or belly cutouts like a Strat. Fat out of shape guys hate Les Pauls. They love Strats. Strats rest on a gut better. Lol. .

It's funny you should mention that. I've put a bit of timber on in the last year and my "Gobshite" has started to lean out a bit as a result - even with the light contouring I incorporated on the back. I need to do something about it! :o

You got any pics of it? Sounds like a "SteamPunk" guitar.

Not at work. I think I've posted a pic before, though.

It's funny you should mention that. I've put a bit of timber on in the last year and my "Gobshite" has started to lean out a bit as a result - even with the light contouring I incorporated on the back. I need to do something about it! :o

Yeah, just wear it lower. :D

Hmmm, three options - ascending difficulty.

1. Wear it lower
2. Hack more chunks out of it
3. Loose weight

Hey, so it's almost like a Gibson. That might be the best Fender ever!

LOL. :D I love my Jap Squier strat. I love it so much I'm finally upgrading the abysmal pots and 5-position switch to the best available after 33 years of ownership. :D

Fender switching from the 4 bolt neck to the cheesy 3 bolt tilt neck, on their strats, in the early 1970s

Fender fails

Poly finishes
80s vibrato units
3 bolt necks

Gibson fails

Fake nitro (nitrocellulose with plasticizers in it)
Firebird X (fail)
Robot tuners
Fake ebony (ritchilite, i think its called)
Laminated rosewood fingerboards
Brass zero nut.
2015 models and pricing.

I could go on, but that's enough fails for one post.

How does that work? I've never played a 70s strat.
It's an alternative to shimming when setting up. TBH it's a "set it and forget it" thing. It could be argued that three bolts are not as stable as four but in practice I've found absolutely no difference in neck stability, especially if the pocket is nice and snug - as mine is. Essentially, the two front bolts are a pivot; if you slightly loosen them and loosen the single back screw a little more, there's a grub screw that you can adjust with an Allen key to alter the angle of the neck. You tighten everything back up again and you're good to go.

On the whole, I don't think Fender have done too many fails, although the hardtail Jags etc. are an abomination. Gibson seem to race from one abomination to the next like a mong in a dodgem.

Unlike a well made shim, the micro tilt doesn't give solid wood to wood contact between neck and pocket. Maybe it doesn't matter but I never liked the idea.

Gibson seem to race from one abomination to the next like a mong in a dodgem.
haha, so wrong but it just made my coffee come out of my nose. I think I'll just fuck about with business cards as shims if/when I replace the neck. At the moment I'm finding it hard to find the trem set up I want. I'm not paying £100 odd quid for a fender one. The trem block is cracked on my current one and I want decent block saddles instead of the shitty rusted things I have now - come to think of it - I've got nice brass blocks on the Washburn... I'll be temporarily robbing the humbucker out of that guitar to teach myself wiring too before I let myself loose on a brand new JB or Warpig ( I don't think they do a Warpig without a Gibson style cover on it though)

Back