worn out tape lifter tascam 388?

Hey was recording a band yesterday after tracking a song we rewinded the tape during playback towards the end of the song tape started to warp. I lifted the dust cover and the tape looked like it was crinkled towards the bottom of the tape. Not quite sure what could've cause the tape to crinckle but I did see tape lifts have wear on them is it possible the tore the tape while rewinding I look at my other 388s and they have less wear then this particular unit but they're out of commission. Might just fast forward and rewind with tape lifter off to reduce risk of damaging tape anyone else have this happen before? How difficulties it to change out tape lifts? Any suggestions? Maybe tape was wound by manufacture poorly? I use scotch 207

They can sometimes be rotated. I say sometimes because I tried it on my junk parts 388 and they turned with not much force using vice grips. Then I tried on one of my operational 388s and they wouldn't budge. If you attempt this, just be careful. Don't put too much pressure on the vise grips, or they will mar the lifters, Just try to pinch the very top away from where the tape runs over them. Maybe put a bit of duct tape where the grips are clamped to reduce any marks.
Another cause of the tape crinkling along the edges could be uneven wear on the heads. Who ever you bought the 388 from could have been using a different brand tape that could have been cut a little narrower than the tape your using. The wear path on the head could be causing your tape to lift a little at the bottom causing a crease.
Next time you thread up some tape, shine a flashlight on the tape while it's in play and look at how it's passing over the head. Look at both the top and bottom edge to see if the tape is following the wear pattern evenly. If it's not, you'll probably see the tape moving in and out a little along the edges.

Last edited:
As the head wears a groove/slot will wear into the head the width of the tape.A sure sign of wear is to feel the lip with your fingernail.If it's there,it's best to remove the head block assy. and get it relapped.If you have poor playback level on track one or eight is another indication it's time to get the head relapped.

It's not the heads they were relapped not too long ago it's definitely tape lifters being worn in I can see shredded speckles of tape from the sharp edges of the lifts. I tried using vice grips on all 3 of my 388s didn't work on any of them there's gotta be a way to rotate or replace them right?

I'm sure there is. (A way)

This reminded me of a solution that seems to work quite well as an alternative.
Drinking straws. An appropriate size diameter drinking straw over the lifter. Just cut to length and slip it on.

Never needed to try it, but I've known of people doing this who have claimed it works.

Can't hurt to try it with some tape that has nothing precious on it.

Might have to try the straw method I wonder what a tech would use to turn them

I'm not sure what a tech would do. I don't think they were meant to be turned. They are fitted so they don't move. But like I said earlier, some can be turned, others not. I have a spare transport section that is pulled out. I'll take a look under the lifters when I get home to see how they are fitted.

Yeah I looked at another pair I had and had no idea how you get the assembly plate they're attached to but guess I will be making a stop to the grocery store for straws so we can finish our record. Bummer too because I mentioned they looked worn to a tech. I had him calibrate and bias the machine when I got the heads relapped and he said he thought tascam made the tape lifters with those groves could've prevented the problem oh well.

Lemme know what ya see I wonder if there's a way to at least slightly loosen them so you can rotate

Just looked at the lifters on the transport section that I have removed. On the top side there is a washer and an E clip on each lifter. I could just barely see the underside through a cut out that some wires go through. It looks like they are press fit onto a small metal plate. Here is a picture of the top side. I couldn't get a good angle with the camera t take a shot of the underside.

IMG_20160419_185129.jpg

Back