Workstation desktop and ergonomics

ninecows

Hi there

I'm about to setup my studio in my new house. I usually have my 88-key kurzweil on a seperate stand but would like it to be build into my desktop.

I have the following equipment:
Motu 8 pre 19" breakout box. Would be fine to have room for an extra unit, but that'll be it. No need for a huge rack :-)

Computer with 15" screen (to be exchanged with an iMac soon) and keyboard+mouse

Kurzweil PC3x

Monitors are hanging in wires from the ceiling (might not be the best solution, but I like it that way).

The question is: should I put the kurzweil or the computer keyboard and mouse on the pull-out drawer? What is best for ergonomics? And what is the ideal height for the piano and computerkeys? Does anyone have some guidelines? And any ideas for combining the above gear on one desk? Most studio desks I've seen only have a small controller keyboard with max 61 keys... The kurzweil is huge and heavy compared to these.

What you are talking about is a custom design.
I helped build a desk for a friend, a few months back specifically for a certain keyboard. (he designed the desk)Tim's Desk.jpg
I definitely think that your monitors should be at ear hight.
You can design audio workstations that can hold everything that you are looking for.

a couple of things that you should consider:

- How much space you have to work with.
- Will you be getting into more outboard gear later on down the road. (It's always nice to have the rack space even if you don't need it right now.)

Feel free to ask any questions. (Audio Workstations are my specialty.)

I built my own desk with rack space a while back.
Cost me a sheet of mdf, a few bolts and some trims. bout £50 or £60 all in I think.

http://steenaudio.com/images/home.gif

I put the mouse and keyboard on a little 'shelf'.
I don't have a piano keyboard, but if I did I think i could quite easily mount it to slide out from underneath the shelf.

I built my own desk with rack space a while back.
Cost me a sheet of mdf, a few bolts and some trims. bout £50 or £60 all in I think.

http://steenaudio.com/images/home.gif

I put the mouse and keyboard on a little 'shelf'.
I don't have a piano keyboard, but if I did I think i could quite easily mount it to slide out from underneath the shelf.

Almost exactly the way I would want my desk to be. Unfortunately, I don't even have as little money as that to put on a desk right now. Need to put some money into one of my basses next thing, then a new computer monitor. Money just seems to fly out of my hands as soon as I get it. =P

Well, I think you have a lot to think about, for when you start this project.
Good luck and be sure to post a build thread.
I love to see this progress!
Cheers.

Back