Working With A New Artist - Thoughts On This Mix?

wow, damn nice. Just a taste thing, but the vocals could use a little room life. Not much, and dry is usually good, but I bet they would make those great vocals even better.

Sounded really good.

Last edited:
Thanks, DM60! I saw your earlier post, and just didn't have a chance to reply until now. Thanks for all the comments. You put your finger on something that's been bugging me, which is that it's very "safe" sounding. I'm not exactly sure how to make this edgier, but it's something I've been struggling with for sure, so I do appreciate the feedback!

Thanks,

Dave

Very nice. That's a fantastic vocal right there! She's got a great voice.

I agree with Dave about the vocals. Maybe a very slight delay on the intro vocals to bring/fatten it out a touch. To be honest though, I could hear this on the radio as is.

Top job in my opinion. :thumbs up:

Thanks, DM60! I saw your earlier post, and just didn't have a chance to reply until now. Thanks for all the comments. You put your finger on something that's been bugging me, which is that it's very "safe" sounding. I'm not exactly sure how to make this edgier, but it's something I've been struggling with for sure, so I do appreciate the feedback!

Thanks,

Dave

yea, you noticed I edited it as I was giving an opinion you didn't ask for and removed it. I am glad you didn't take it negative.

I really liked it, and the recording sounds great....was that done with a Line6 UX8? appears you have one in your picture.
the "safe sounding" is an interesting discussion, something that doesnt come easy.
I really liked the drum sounds too, vocals she is very good.... arranging and producing is one thing, the mix seems really well done, youve got some good skill in the mixing area.

Thanks all for the comments. CoolCat, it is a Line6 UX8...good eyes! But, since that pic was taken I've added a TC Electronic Impact Twin to get 2 additional inputs so that I can record my whole trio live. Now I have the Line6 and the TC set up as an aggregate device on my Mac. For this track (and for most I do now) I used the TC for the vocals, with a Mojave Audio MA-201 Fet. I also used the TC for the acoustic guitar. The Line6 was for the electric and the bass on this track. I also used the Line6 for drums.

Very Best,

Dave

I enjoyed the song and I thought the mix was good. My only nitpick is I didn't like the sound of the crash cymbal and I thought it was used too much after the bridge. Less would have been more IMO.

Back