Working Live

dafduc

Hiya.

Not really a recording or hip-hop specific question, but...

...I'm looking to set up a "band" of sorts with another keyboard player - she sings, too - I'll probably play left hand bass. We're talking about bringing in a 3rd member who'd be in charge of "beats." Probably a combination of interactive drum/groove box, DJ, and maybe percussion.

It will be dance-oriented stuff, and we're open to hip-hop style grooves, but the tunes themselves will probably be revamped versions of old hits. A lot of our ideas right now are moving more toward a techno/house kind of thing (her interest), but I prefer hip-hop beats, myself. Maybe someday I'll learn the language. ;) Preferably all interactive - no sequencing, though I know it's a thin line between groove box work and sequence work.

Are we gonna find people who are into this? Is the DJ/Beatz community going to hate this idea, or is it the kind of thing that someone out there has the skills and interest to do?

BTW, we both have day jobs and weekend church jobs already, so it will definitely be a part time thing...

Oh yeah, Detroit area, if you're interested in hooking up.

Thanks,

Daf

Daf...

Unfortunately, our area is a bit sparse when it comes to this type of thing. Detroit's hip-hop style is very "street and grimy". I'm sure you could find a drummer capable of doing that which you're seeking, but you're leaning more to the electronica/techno/house/dance side of things with that...

Any Hip-Hop drummer I've ever met, were into the rugged boom-bap style a la "The Roots".

Good luck though.

Daf,

I'm sure you can find some decent cats in the D to get down with you. If you're having trouble, shoot me a PM & i'll plug you up with a couple of cats in the city who might be game, or at least able to help you find a waxmaster with enough skill & broad enough horizons to fuck with you.

BTW - why do you need a live dj if he/she's gonna be mostly programming rhythm tracks and stuff? (just wondering...)

Sorry to have missed your response, Flo - I THOUGHT I subscribed to the thread. Stupid HR tricks, maybe...

Anyhow, the idea is to keep it interactive - my big gripe about sequencer gigs is that the give-n-take is gone. My hope is actually that we can work it out so that the DJ gets his own space - whole breakdowns that are all his, for example. So, yeah, he'd be writing the loops, but he'd be pulling them together live - and it all stays real flexible.

Thanks for the offer, too - I'll PM you if we decide to go this direction. We hooked up with a local funk/jazz unit for now (thanks to brother rats for the hookup!), if that sticks, then we probably won't ever explore the beatz thing. But it still sounds like a cool direction to go - to both of us.

Oh, yeah, and CHANGE: check your PMs.

Peace,

Daf

Back