Working in Radio

avieth

I'm trying to get a volunteer position at a small campus radio station. I think I've got enough experience with studio gear to drop right in to the radio station environment. But I have to pass a test on the technology and I'm worried there might be some stuff I've never heard of on there. Do you think general knowledge of a recording studio will be enough?

I'm trying to get a volunteer position at a small campus radio station. I think I've got enough experience with studio gear to drop right in to the radio station environment. But I have to pass a test on the technology and I'm worried there might be some stuff I've never heard of on there. Do you think general knowledge of a recording studio will be enough?

Depends on the job. At radio stations technical precautions need to be followed so as to not screw up the radio transmission within the FCC rules. Don't know about now, but in the old days one had to have an FCC license to do certain jobs at a radio station. A 3rd class license was for operators (e.g. those who used the radio equipment but did not work on it), and it focused largely on rules and regulations. 2nd and 1st class licenses were required for those who designed, operated and and repaired the transmission part of the signal chain. As I recall, DJs, announcers, and others without hands on the transmission equipment did not need to be licensed, but there had to be a licensed operator on the premises at all times.

The knowledge you have from your studio should be enough if you are applying to work in the audio domain, e.g. being on-air or controlling the mix up to the audio feed to the transmitter. If you are to be involved with any aspect of transmission however, then there is a lot of new stuff to think about, with the amount dependent on what the job is. Even if you aren't looking to work beyond the audio, it might be a good idea to go in with an understanding of how audio is used to modulate the radio carrier wave -- AM and FM, and perhaps a knowledge of the negative effects of not having the modulation set correctly.

Thanks! I passed the test, which was actually all about studio rules and responsibilities, not technology. Now I'm scheduled to come in and meet some people, get some training, and then record a demo tape to see if I can keep the levels right. I'm living in Canada, so FCC rules don't apply, but I guess the CRTC imposes similar standards.

I work in Sydney in one of Australia's highest rating FM stations in the technology end of things...if you have any questions, I might be able to help.....MIGHT being the operative word. If not, I might be able to point you in the right direction.....

Back