Word What? Word Clock!!

robbysaudio

Hello

You might find this post elsewhere on the forum, because I wasn’t sure where to put it.

WORD CLOCK!
WORD CLOCK!
WORD CLOCK!

I keep reading about it and I haven’t got a clue what they’re on about and my searches turn up little. I assume it’s something akin to SMPTE a sync/timing protocol, but I might be completely off mark

Please, someone provide me with some info or a good link

Thanks

Rob

Rob,
In a nutshell, Word Clock tells various pieces of digital audio equipment where digital "words" begin and end.

In an analog world (or with analog signals passing between various pieces of gear), the signal can be understood by the gear without any intervention. With digital, however, you're passing 1's and 0's. One piece of equipment needs to tell the other (or many others) where to find the beginning and ending of the digital "word."

Short answer: when audio interfaces run in what we call "free run" mode (using their internal clock), the clocks won't tick at precisely the same rate, so if you record from two interfaces, they'll drift relative to one another. Word clock is one way to prevent that. Well, it keeps any two devices marching in lockstep, not just interfaces, but you get the idea.

Back