WORD CLOCK - what, why, how?

saxman72

Hi all... been quite a while since I've been here... Took some time to do some reading of postings and still have a question...

What is the purpose of word clock and how can I use it to my advantage? I'm thinking about getting a Q10 or a Multiface to replace my XP-driverless GadgetLabs card, and they both have work clock i/o. My somewhat old school DA-88 also has word clock i/o. Can I sync my DA-88 and my computer with word clock, or will I still need the pricey SY-88 sync card?

If anyone can tell me what the deal is, or point me to some good sources, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks,

Saxman72

Word clock governs the sampling frequency (44.1, 48, 88.2, 96k, etc). All digital signals like S/PDIF, AES/EBU, ADAT, etc) have clock signal embedded in them. An external word clock replaces this clock information. first of all, if you have multiple digital devices you can syncronize all their sampling freqs to one master clock. Also, and most important as far as I'm concerned, you can replace the internal clock with a much more stable, low jitter clock.
Better clock=Better audio. I use a Lucid GenX6.
By the way, it only can be used to sync sampling frequency, not sync machine operation. You need the card to do that.

Track Rat said:
By the way, it only can be used to sync sampling frequency, not sync machine operation. You need the card to do that.

Thanks TR, that's the info I needed to know (unfortunately). I need more track capability so I think it's time to buy a newer computer. I 'could' get the sync card and dump completed tracks to the DA-88 but I think that would be more of a pain than it's worth. Of course getting a new computer and transferring everything and upgrading this and that will be a major pain in the ass too...

gaaahhh... either way it sucks! hehehe...

Saxman72

Track rat.
Lets say i buy an RME hammerfall multiface, or whatever the model is. I want to upgrade the quality, so i buy the Lucid Genx6 word clock. I plug the word clock into the RME and all of the channels sampling rates are now handled by the Lucid? The whole RME is essentialy "upgraded" now? Or does it only affect a couple of channels?

Word Clock is a timing reference for digital audio devices; it supplies common timing to multiple devices so that they can be synchronized with one another. Word clock is a time base reference only, providing a measurement of the passage of time and the speed at which samples should go by. Word clock carries no address or timecode information; therefore word clock by itself is not enough to sync two devices.

Some devices that use word clock include digital mixers, stand-alone hard disk recorders, computer-based digital audio workstations and computer audio cards.

When doing digital transfers between two different digital devices, some devices require word clock to be sent from one to the other. Two digital audio devices, such as a 2408 and a digital mixer must be connected via word clock cables to be synchronized to the same rate of digital audio, for playback to be consistent. The combination of SMPTE (address) and word clock (rate) is a complete sync scenario.

Source: www.Motu.com

Use a 75 Ohm coax cable for WORD-clock conections

ambi said:
Track rat.
Lets say i buy an RME hammerfall multiface, or whatever the model is. I want to upgrade the quality, so i buy the Lucid Genx6 word clock. I plug the word clock into the RME and all of the channels sampling rates are now handled by the Lucid? The whole RME is essentialy "upgraded" now? Or does it only affect a couple of channels?
Yes, it's essentially upgraded the whole thing. Its internal clock would be replaced by a more stable, low jitter clock. All channels, in and out.

Track, I know you might be generalizing here, but might there be exceptions to this, for example when the internal clock is good to beging with?
On my RME ADI-8's, the jitter spec is actually lower on 'internal' and 'adat' than on 'word clock'. (1ns vs 4ns)
(Then again, in my setup, when I'm tracking with more than eight inputs, the second ADI is slaved the the first one via word clock anyway! ) I have not tried a stand alone clock either...
Then there's another generality; When in doubt, keep the clock in the converter. (At the very least, not from the digi-signal cable.)
Wayne

Definately a generalization. There are devices out there with great clocks onboard. There's also a lot that could benifit from a better clock. The gear I own I feel did benifit from the Lucid. An HD24, a MOTU 2408 mkII and a DBX 386 (digital out) all got tighter with the Lucid.

i'm confused with the whole RME product line. What is the basic sound card by RME that everyone raves about, and says has awesome converters. I always hear RME hammerfall multiface.
Is that one product? Or is it two products?

I looked at i think the hammerfall cards, and they didn't look like sound cards, more like DSP cards. They didn't have break out box's or anything.

A careful note about word clocks:

For a SINGLE device, in many cases, like was pointed out above you may INCREASE jitter with an external word clock, tho the RME spec is misleading ( as with a LOT of the spiel coming from RME [ nevermind that I am a SERIOUS RME user and own 7 of their products now :) ] ) as itll still be clocking internal, just referencing the external clock.

Once you have more than one device tho, you are almost guaranteed way better performance using ONE very good clock source, and no matter what Nika the car saleseman, oops I mean you know, says the Lucid Genx6 is pretty DAMN kickass

Oooh i see, the multiface has to be bought seperatly from the pci interface card. I SEE!

Ok now it makes sense. Damn i was originally thinking of getting a delta 44, now i think i'm gonna have to buy a few less other things, and save more for the multiface...

I mean, it's a solid investment. Even though i'll mainly only use 2-3 inputs at the same time, it's the quality of the recordings. AND if i ever decide to do projects for other people or friends, i'd have 8 inputs to mic a band. It's a solid financial investment... right? Convince me here! Aahah, 1600 Canadian is a bit more than 350 for a delta 44, but it's worth it right!! It'll do my laundry right!!

I don't need to eat for a while. i've been meaning to loose weight anyways huh? It's like a diety, this card will do me good!

I broke my own rule this weekend when I misstakenly left my #2 ADI clocked from 'adat' in on the first song we did, which ment clock was comming round trip from ADI #1 to Dakota, back to #2. Guess I got lucky though, no clicks or pops.:rolleyes:
From what Pipe mentioned, their re-clocking scheam might have save me.
:)
Wayne

Hey ambi-

If you're not needing more than 4 inputs at a time, you might look into the Lynx cards too. I don't remember off hand how the price compares to the RME but I know those card are supposed to kick ass too. I'm pretty sure they make a 4 in 4 out card. Unfortunately I need more ins and outs than that so I'm only looking at the Multiface and the Q10...

I had a guy from germany offer me a new multiface and pci card for about $699 (us) plush shipping and taxes... so I dunno what it would come to in the end. I think it still may be the best price out there though....

Saxman72

ambi said:
i'm confused with the whole RME product line. What is the basic sound card by RME that everyone raves about, and says has awesome converters. I always hear RME hammerfall multiface.
Is that one product? Or is it two products?

I looked at i think the hammerfall cards, and they didn't look like sound cards, more like DSP cards. They didn't have break out box's or anything.
Most of RME cards are digital and optical cards. There are a few that offer analog in and analog expansion boards for more analog ins, but the multiface is the daddy. 8 analog in & out, spdif, optical, ADAT, word clock and midi. You can find one of the multiface combos usually on ebay a little cheaper than retail which is about $870.00

saxman72 said:
Hey ambi-

If you're not needing more than 4 inputs at a time, you might look into the Lynx cards too. I don't remember off hand how the price compares to the RME but I know those card are supposed to kick ass too. I'm pretty sure they make a 4 in 4 out card. Unfortunately I need more ins and outs than that so I'm only looking at the Multiface and the Q10...

I had a guy from germany offer me a new multiface and pci card for about $699 (us) plush shipping and taxes... so I dunno what it would come to in the end. I think it still may be the best price out there though....

Saxman72
The Lynx cards are expensive. You would need the L22 or Lynx2 for more than 2 inputs{analog} at a price of $900-$1200

Back