Word clock on outboard gear?

scorpio01169

Hey, I got lucky on ebay this past week and got a brand new never used TC Electronic M-One Reverb unit, well anyway it has an option for using it's internal clock or external clock. I have a word clock generator that I use for my recorders and I was wondering if there's a benefit to using the clock for my reverb unit instead of it's internal clock.

I'm not slaving. My board is analog but my recorders are hard disc which is why is use an eternal clock. So there's no digital connection between the devices other than using the the WC generator because I was always told that internal clocks in my recorders weren't that good. I read the debates about using external vs internal and I'll have to say that using the external WC gen. makes my recording sound a bit more open sounding (if that makes any sense), but there's a difference that I can hear. but will that difference be the same with outboard gear?

Theoretically could be, and for all the same reasons. Personally I don't think I'd bother, especially with something like a reverb, but I'm just not that picky about these things. Why did you think that asking us would give you a better answer than just trying it for yourself?

Why did you think that asking us would give you a better answer than just trying it for yourself?
Good question, but I was wondering if using the external would make the trails of reverbs or delays sound more natural. I did an A/B test with this unit and an Alesis midiverb 4 and the difference between these units are very big as far as how clean they sound. Maybe I'm too concerned with why one sounds better and maybe clocking has something to do with it, than just accepting the fact that one is better.

Good question, but I was wondering if using the external would make the trails of reverbs or delays sound more natural. I did an A/B test with this unit and an Alesis midiverb 4 and the difference between these units are very big as far as how clean they sound. Maybe I'm too concerned with why one sounds better and maybe clocking has something to do with it, than just accepting the fact that one is better.

I doubt the WC will improve the reverb in that way. At most, it will keep the digital audio timing of the dry signal and the reverb signal in sync....but not enough difference with/without the WC, to change the flavor of the reverb.

If you think one of the reverb units sounds better....go with that one.

Back