WooHoo ! Got my 2 track analog reel to reel...

sushi-mon

Unfortunately I got into a bidding war last night, but won it with 3 seconds to spare. Paid just over $200. The thing looks pristene and well taken care of, and a ton of close up pictures convinced me and the original manual.

Plus, if I am not satisfied, the seller will refund all monies spent, including shipping it back. Additonally, the seller told me that he would foot the bill if I take it to a qualified technician to have it calibrated. Although I plan to calibrate it myself in order to learn, since there is a lot of good step by step advice out there on how to do it.

The unit is the Fostex A2 1/4 inch two track with 15 ips. Hardly anything but the straightforward necessities, so no fluff, and I like that it has needle VU meters too. No transport, but, I can live without that until I find one.

Take a look and drool... :cool:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7414988472

Congrats! You'll love the results, especially with drums and rock electric guitars... big and fat!

I've still got (and use) a teac A-2300SX-2T 1/4" half track (two tracks in one direction only) 15ips mastering deck that uses 10" reels that I bought new in the '80's. Built like a fricking tank, and still in perfect condition. They seem to be very popular and hold their value quite well. ;)

Cool. I am figuring to use it to track and also experiment with mixing out of my DAW onto it and see what I get. I plan an traking guitar, vocals and bass on the two track then dubbing them all down into P-tulz.

Only problem is getting drums onto it. I am the drummer, but don't have the studio space to set up and record drums. But, I do have a Roland V-drum kit that I use to trigger BFD software, which has amazing quality of analog drum sounds. I plan on running a mixed BFD performance out as a stereo drum mix onto the tape. That might be the best I can do, should still give me good results. The BFD audio sounds pretty analog as it is, so I can use the analog drum mix as a background filler.

Yeah, I saw that one, & thought about bidding,...

but didn't........................;)

It looks pretty clean, though!! ;)

Attachments

• 1-Fostex A2.jpg
    1-Fostex A2.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 98
A Reel Person said:
but didn't........................;)

It looks pretty clean, though!! ;)

Thanks. Glad there were not any more bidders. I actually thought I might find the person I outbid here. I imagine he was pretty mad, as mad as I was that I did not get it for a steal, but it looks like I am walking away with a nice machine. And I can start judging analog with my own ears. :cool:

Actually found a website that listed this Fostex A2 as being introduced in 1988 and selling for $2,500. The only 2 track I saw selling for more around those times was the Otari MX5050 at $3,000. I think I got a top notch machine. Lucky me :rolleyes:

sushi-mon said:
Actually found a website that listed this Fostex A2 as being introduced in 1988 and selling for $2,500. The only 2 track I saw selling for more around those times was the Otari MX5050 at $3,000. I think I got a top notch machine. Lucky me :rolleyes:

The A-2 was introduced in 1981 and made through ’84 I believe, but nice score. It looks to be in good shape. It is a very straightforward deck – easy to learn and maintain.

:)

I had read somewhere it was from 1981, I will find out when I get it and the manual for sure.

I have been reading up on how to calibrate and maintain tape decks. Should be fun !

Back