woodwork?

DTBlalock

I am completely unexperienced to woodwork, but I found two 12 inch celestion 75 speakers lying around in the basement along with a large amount of oak plywood. I am going to build a 2x12 guitar cabinet...not for actual use (in terms of sound quality, etc) but for fun and past time. One question from the newbie to wood...how do you cut a 12" hole?

DTBlalock said:
I am completely unexperienced to woodwork, but I found two 12 inch celestion 75 speakers lying around in the basement along with a large amount of oak plywood. I am going to build a 2x12 guitar cabinet...not for actual use (in terms of sound quality, etc) but for fun and past time. One question from the newbie to wood...how do you cut a 12" hole?

Jig saw. Go to the celestion web site or call them and get prints for the type of cab you want to build. After that go to your local lumber store and have someone cut all the peices you need. Now all you have to do ia assemble and carpet it! This comes from an experienced carpenter! There is a certian formula for building speaker cabs. If you just build a box w/ some holes you will just waste a lot of time and money on a peice of crap. If your goning to spend time why not try to do it right and make it usable. You never know you might find a dimond in that peice of coal you found in your basement.

Good Luck!

DrJones said:
Jig saw. Go to the celestion web site or call them and get prints for the type of cab you want to build. After that go to your local lumber store and have someone cut all the peices you need. Now all you have to do ia assemble and carpet it! This comes from an experienced carpenter! There is a certian formula for building speaker cabs. If you just build a box w/ some holes you will just waste a lot of time and money on a peice of crap. If your goning to spend time why not try to do it right and make it usable. You never know you might find a dimond in that peice of coal you found in your basement.

Good Luck!

thanks. i went to the site and looked for a while but found no plans. do you have a link or anything?

DrJones said:
Jig saw. Go to the celestion web site or call them and get prints for the type of cab you want to build.

Uh, he doesn't know how to make a 12" hole in a piece of plywood. I'm pretty sure building a cabinet is not on the horizon as of today.

Sorry for te double post, but otherwise my previous post might seem confusing.
I found a plan for a 2X12 Cabinet, but its an angled cabinet
(2 X 12" ANGLED SHORT-THROW MID CAB FOR MODULAR SYSTEMS)
not sure if its a help.

I'm only saying that 1/4" ply is pretty thin and there should'nt be a need to use a 2 x 4 frame in a speaker cabinet. 3/4" marine grade plywood is probably what I'd use if the cab is going to be covered.

TravisinFlorida said:
I'm only saying that 1/4" ply is pretty thin and there should'nt be a need to use a 2 x 4 frame in a speaker cabinet. 3/4" marine grade plywood is probably what I'd use if the cab is going to be covered.

You're in charge of this mission from here on out.

ez_willis said:
You're in charge of this mission from here on out.

No sir. I'm too stupid to take charge of anything..........but have any of guys ever looked inside a speaker cab before to see how it's constructed? I have and I never saw any thin plywood or 2 x 4's.

Back