wooden v.s carpeted flooring

Not something that subtle. Do you have any proof that it makes a difference? Have YOU heard the difference? We can go back and forth answering each question with another question, but that doesn't prove anything. We're not talking about the difference between a non-treated room to a treated room, or recording in a bedroom as opposed to a garage. Those things would make a difference. We're talking about putting piece of plywood under a singer, putting headphones on that singer, blasting a backing track through the headphones while the singer sings, and expecting that piece of wood to have an audible difference to what the singer hears in the headphones. Seriously.

Well! I have heard of goal post shifting but dragging new ones in? Were did "blasting backing tracks" come from? Might just be some gentle chords. What absent son would be doing.

And if you recall I mention some 75% of a room, about 106 sq feet of hardboard in my case. Not "a bit o wood under the singer"!

Dave.

Well! I have heard of goal post shifting but dragging new ones in? Were did "blasting backing tracks" come from? Might just be some gentle chords. What absent son would be doing.

And if you recall I mention some 75% of a room, about 106 sq feet of hardboard in my case. Not "a bit o wood under the singer"!

Dave.
Nobody's moving any goal posts, Dave. Jesus, do you just look for arguments for the hell of it? I was originally responding to Broken's post about PUTTING A PIECE OF WOOD UNDER HIM WHILE HE SINGS. Like I said, I even quoted his post before I responded to it.

I'm not changing anything here, this is what I was originally responding to and what we're talking about. You're the one "moving goal posts" with your "75% of a room". That wasn't part of the conversation until you decided it was. I agree with you as far as the merits and of room treatment, but I was referring to what Broken said.

I also didn't move any goal posts talking about blasting backing tracks through headphones. How else do you think vocalists record their tracks? Unless you're talking about acapella recording, and I'm talking about recording to music, which is what 99.999% of people here on this forum do.

So, to summarize. I don't think putting a piece of plywood under a singer while they record a vocal track with headphones on, while a backing track plays music in those same headphones, will make any difference in the amount or quality of "feedback" the singer receives. THIS is what I was saying, in response to someone else's post.

Last edited:
"Why rip anything up? We found the sound of acoustic guitar was much improved by laying some 1/8" hardboard over a carpeted floor. I have done about 75% of the exposed area (room is 12' by 12.5' but has a LOT of junk in it!) .
For a "proper job" you could use 3/8" (9mm) plywood and yacht varnish one side covering the other with thin carpet., If you did not want to bother with carpet some Velcro "hook" will stop the boards moving (F me! Will it stick it down!)"

Me, ^ page one. Did you skip it or forget.
No matter..."I" know WTF I mean.

Dave.

Me, ^ page one. Did you skip it or forget.
Neither. How about....I wasn't talking to you.

I'll try this one more time, and I'll type really slow so that there might be a chance you'll get it this time:

I was RESPONDING TO BROKEN'S POST ABOUT PUTTING A PIECE OF WOOD ON THE FLOOR TO GET MORE "FEEDBACK" WHILE SINGING.

It's clear as can be that I was talking to Broken about his specific post. The fact that I quoted HIM (not you) should be a clue for anyone with a functioning brain that I was taking to HIM (not you).

What's wrong with you? Or are you just being deliberately ignorant?

Poor guy.

Last edited:
Neither. How about....I wasn't talking to you.

I'll try this one more time, and I'll type really slow so that there might be a chance you'll get it this time:

I was RESPONDING TO BROKEN'S POST ABOUT PUTTING A PIECE OF WOOD ON THE FLOOR TO GET MORE "FEEDBACK" WHILE SINGING.

It's clear as can be that I was talking to Broken about his specific post. The fact that I quoted HIM (not you) should be a clue for anyone with a functioning brain that I was taking to HIM (not you).

What's wrong with you? Or are you just being deliberately ignorant?

Poor guy.
Oh right! So you were having a private/public internal conversation? Sorry.Leave you to it.
And not exactly poor but "life" has turned a bit dark of late.

Dave.

Oh right! So you were having a private/public internal conversation?
No, I was responding to a specific person, which is why I included their statement in my response. Obviously, the concept of someone talking to someone other than you is not one you're able to grasp. I seriously think you're deliberately being an idiot at this point. Nobody can be THIS stupid. Or maybe "someone" actually can.

And not exactly poor but "life" has turned a bit dark of late.
Yeah well, we've all got our own story. Spare me the details, because I'm not going to pretend I care.

No, I was responding to a specific person, which is why I included their statement in my response. Obviously, the concept of someone talking to someone other than you is not one you're able to grasp. I seriously think you're deliberately being an idiot at this point. Nobody can be THIS stupid. Or maybe "someone" actually can.

Yeah well, we've all got our own story. Spare me the details, because I'm not going to pretend I care.
I said I would leave you to it. Will you have the good grace to do the same?

Dave.

I said I would leave you to it. Will you have the good grace to do the same?

Dave.
I wasn't talking to you in the first place, so why would I have trouble leaving you out of a conversation you can't even follow anyway?

You're now officially tuned out.

I wasn't talking to you in the first place, so why would I have trouble leaving you out of a conversation you can't even follow anyway?

You're now officially tuned out.

I shall take that as a graceless no.

Dave.

I shall take that as a graceless no.

Dave.
Who gives a shit how you take it. I'm trying to tune you out but you're still spewing stupidity, even after you said you'll "leave me to it". I'll take that as a graceless pile of hypocrisy.

Poor guy.

So anyway....back to the topic at hand.....

BROKEN H. To get back to your statement (Remember? The one that I specifically quoted and responded to) about getting more "feedback" by putting down a piece of wood under you while tracking vocals with music blasting in your headphones....I really don't think you'll hear much of a difference in a case like that. But, like I said, there's only one way to find out.

Who gives a shit how you take it. I'm trying to tune you out but you're still spewing stupidity, even after you said you'll "leave me to it". I'll take that as a graceless pile of hypocrisy.

Poor guy.

Bye bye nasty, sad, angry person.

Dave

Bye bye nasty, sad, angry person.

Dave
Nice try. I'm the happiest, funniest and most un-affected person I know. I'm sincerely sorry everything turned out so shitty for you in life.

*Funny thing is, I wasn't even disagreeing with anything you said about putting wood on the floor, etc..... I was simply addressing something VERY SPECIFIC that SOMEONE ELSE said when you came in and decided to start an argument over nothing. Sad and angry? Check.

Last edited:
...so, like I said....let's try this again......

BROKEN H. To get back to your statement (Remember? The one that I specifically quoted and responded to) about getting more "feedback" by putting down a piece of wood under you while tracking vocals with music blasting in your headphones....I really don't think you'll hear much of a difference in a case like that. But, like I said, there's only one way to find out.

Nice try. I'm the happiest, funniest and most un-affected person I know. I'm sincerely sorry everything turned out so shitty for you in life, but starting arguments over things that you know nothing about isn't going to change that.

The last word is yours...that seems very important to you, so you can have it. :)

Didn't say shitty, I said dark. Love to talk to this wonderful person Rami but you seem to have a very short fuse and a weird concept of free speech.

Didn't say shitty, I said dark. Love to talk to this wonderful person Rami but you seem to have a very short fuse and a weird concept of free speech.

Yes, it's apparent by your verbal diarrhea that I'm totally muzzling your free speech. :laughings:

Last edited:
OK, let's try again.......

Im about to finish up my vocal iso room.
Once I do I will try it with the carpeted floor (existing) and with 1/2 ply on the floor.
Be patient it may take a little bit.

OK, let's try again.......

Well, I'm going to try to find out. I've got about 8x8 on the floor I can cover easily, and that's about 1/2 of the 125 sq ft in the room. Have a couple pieces of ADX in the shed and might try that later...too busy with other stuff now, but I'll let you know if it was a waste of time when (if) I ever get it done.

Fun to watch you two. Not going to pick sides, just snicker a bit...:D

Well, I'm going to try to find out. I've got about 8x8 on the floor I can cover easily, and that's about 1/2 of the 125 sq ft in the room. Have a couple pieces of ADX in the shed and might try that later...too busy with other stuff now, but I'll let you know if it was a waste of time when (if) I ever get it done.

Fun to watch you two. Not going to pick sides, just snicker a bit...:D
Well, at least YOU "get" that I was referring to your post.....but now I've lost interest......:D

Back