wood, plastic or foam beaters?

Ostia Man

Hi!
I'm a guitar player and dont know anything about drums, but i need to record some drums.
what's the difference in sound betwen wood, foam and plastic beaters?
I know plastic has more snap that foam, but i've never heard how wood beaters sound.
Thanx!

What style of music? Both plastic and wood are going to have lots of slap/click, depending on how you tune the head & mic them. Felt/rubber will have a softer attack with plenty of punch. Lambswool will be the softest, with more boom.

Ya know people have been discussing this around me since I was knee high & I've tried em all except glass :D & I use felt for everything & I could click a hole in your wall

honest

gbondo9 said:
I use a flacid penis that I skewered off a cadavar in Anatomy class.....

Works like a charm!!! All my drums tracks sound like Metallica's St. Anger album!!!

Any good taxidermist can get that thing erect for you, gives a woodier type of wump. circumsized is better, to get that separate stalk/head sort of thing. dont want the stalk hitting the skin.

I prefer a decent lump of wood on my bass drum pedal, but I use plastic w/ felt covering (one side obv) on my double pedal for a more forgiving sound.

Felt never seems to have enough attack for me, and I just use gaffer tape or cut cork as a beater pad to save my heads.

Back