Wood for slot resonators

version2

Well, the studio down here in finally starting to come together. The only problem I am having right now is locating wood. I ask for timber slats at the local Home Depot and I get some funny looks.

John, or anyone.

Could you please lend me a hand and let me know where to shop for 8' timbers?

8' timbers? What specie? Theres Oak, Bubinga, Tennesee Cedar, Walnut, Cherry, Poplar, Chestnut, Gaboon, Paduk,Ebony, Mahogany or a couple of hundred others. Whats your pleasure?;) When you say timbers, that implys log size:eek: Thats why the clerks looked at you funny. Home depot carrys a few hardwoods in various thickness widths and lengths. You have to determine exactly what you want. They could have given you railroad ties:D
fitz

You'll have to cut your own slats from nominal dimensioned hardwood lumber. Nominal dimensioned is 2x4, ,2x6, 2x8....
HD sells hardwood lumber, but has a limited supply of species.
Typically you'll find them carry Oak, Maple, and Poplar. If you want anything more exotic, you may try some woodworking shops, they usually carry a slew of species, but it'll cost more at a specialty shop.

From memory, in a past discussion on slot resonators, I think John said that timber species was not that important..........or maybe he said that it was ok to use softwood (i.e. pine).

:cool:

Yeah, I can't imagine how wood type would affect it. I am planning on riping 3/4" birch plywood and just covering it with poyurethane.

I see pictures of studios that use rough milled pine all the time.

Kevin.

Thanks for the help, guys. I guess the guy that was really confused was me! I will do some shopping today.

Like Longsoughtfor, I have made the majority of mine out of fairly thick ply but have the centre 8 slats made from various sizes of pine..........i.e; The 2 centre-most slats are 4"x2", the next is 3"x1.5", next 2"x2" and then 1.5"x1.5". From there the plywood slats continue to the top and bottom.

The idea behind this design was to create some basic diffusion by not having a continual flat surface. Stained it a deep green and it looks more like a bloody artwork on the wall:) .

Actually, Longsought..........at a later date, when the surrounding wall treatment is done I will get a couple of pics to go up on your site.

:cool:

Heh. That made me actually have to go back and read over the slot resonator's idea at John's site again. I didnt even realize that he had varying width of wood. I thought it was just the spacing that was variable.

I am, however, not building a flat wall. It going to have a v to the middle. This will take care of the straightness, I believe.

there is a version 2 - version 2 :D

Take a sheet of plywood and rout the slots into it. i.e. get a router bit thats say 1/4" and rout a 1/4" slot, then another , and another. You can also vary the width of the slot using a wider router blade. This is the alternative way of creating a slot resonator.
It can be very decorative.

cheers
John

Hello John, say, is there anything that says these slots have to be straight? Like concentric, or ecentric circles? Only not complete, say a 3 or 4 slots per diameter with maybe 3" between the ends of each slot. Or at an angle to the face. I have access to CNC machining, and got to wondering. Maybe I shouldn't do that.:D Hmmmm, can you combine a QRD with a slot resonator? How about out of aluminum extrusions instead of wood? Or colored plex? Or...Hmmm
fitz;)

Ausrock says:
Actually, Longsought..........at a later date, when the surrounding wall treatment is done I will get a couple of pics to go up on your site.

That would be great. I'd like to see the green stained wood.

Later.
Keivn.

John Sayers said:
there is a version 2 - version 2 :D

Take a sheet of plywood and rout the slots into it. i.e. get a router bit thats say 1/4" and rout a 1/4" slot, then another , and another. You can also vary the width of the slot using a wider router blade. This is the alternative way of creating a slot resonator.
It can be very decorative.

cheers
John

Now thats an idea. Thanks John. I have some decisions to make.

I don’t know if there is one near you, but Rocker Hardware might have what you want, as might Woodcraft. If you have access to a shop with heavy woodworking machinery, you could find a local hardwood lumber yard, though that would be quite a lot of work (though cheaper than Rocker or woodcraft).

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

longsoughtfor said:
Fence pickets are a great idea V2. Are they the ones with the curved face?

Kevin.

Nope. They are the flats. The correct name would be "rough cut cedar timber pickets." Price was 1.18 a piece. Not too shabby. I still had problem finding the correct insulation for the project.

Back