"Won't Be Alone"

minerman

Tonetard
It's been a while since I've posted a song, & I apologize for not being active a lot here in the mixing clinic, but life seems to keep me really busy anymore......
Here's an original song written & performed by my great-niece, Katie Bledsoe. She just turned 13 about 2-3 weeks ago, & is a very, very talented young lady. I'm really proud of this song, as we started from scratch (recording wise, I have no idea how long she's been singing this song.....) Thursday afternoon. She did these vocals all in one take, doing a couple warm ups before hitting the record button. I'm amazed at how well she can sing to be so young, & was very, very easy to "work" with. I wanna mention that there's no pitch correction on her vocals at all, something I only wish I could ever do.....
The vocals & rhythm guitars were recorded at the church I mentioned awhile back in the tone thread, & did the rest of 'em at home.....
I played all the instruments, & of course did the mix......
Here's the rundown on the tracks:
1 vocal track
2 acoustic rhythm tracks
1 acoustic slide track
1 acoustic bass vsti
10 drum tracks (drum vsti multi-out)
2 reverb tracks

I hope everyone enjoys this as much as I enjoyed working on it with Katie.......
Here's a pic of her at the church Thursday (took with a crappy cell phone)
IMG00071-20120705-1506.jpg

BTW: The Soundclick link works on my end, but the graphics are messed up. I have no idea why, & if anyone has any problems listening, click on my SC link in my sig, it's the first song on the player......

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11754497

Last edited:
Sorry to bump this, but was just wondering what everyone here thought this sounded......thanks in advance!!!!

The mix sounds pretty good to me. Guitars sound good. There's some slop in the timing here and there, but not too bad. Some of the drum fills seem a little wongo, or the guitars aren't timed with the downbeat to come back in. Something like that. I'm not crazy about the girls voice. It's kind of flat and nasally. But she's young so I'm sure her voice still has a lot of growing up to do. Overall I think it's a pretty good mix though.

I thought the guitars sounded good. Vocals sound nice and clear. Vocals have just a touch of harshness. But it sounded wonderful for a 13 year old.

A couple of timing gaks - mostly in the first half of the song.

Tough for me to to tell for sure, but it sounds like there is a low end problem. Sounds kind of boomy and rumbly down there - maybe around the 100-120 range.

Thanks for the listen & reviews guys, I didn't realize the drum programming was so bad. I rushed to finish this up (I told Katie I'd try to have it done before I went back to work), so anything to do with the song, other than the singing, is on me.......Thanks again!!!!!

Back