Wonderwall by Oasis - Cover Video! Let's see what you think...

BJW

Hello all. I've just wrapped up recording and filming my cover of Wonderwall by Oasis.

Here she is...

In HD (720p): http://www.vimeo.com/1829002

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDyTdg93U_A

(can we embed youtube videos?)

Here's a direct link to the MP3 if you just want audio:

So some details:

Acoustic Guitar: Takamine FD 360-sc, recorded with a pair of MXL 603's and direct in
Vocals: Studio Projects C1
Electric Guitar: Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat into a Vox AD60vt (AC30tb patch), recorded with the C1
Bass: Direct in
Audio interface: Presonus FirePod
Camera: Canon HV20
Software: Audio - Apple Logic; Video: Apple Final Cut

Thanks for watching/listening!

Sorry. My wife freaked out in the other room while I was trying to listen to it. She started ranting about Oasis and then we both started thinking about how much better the world is now that they're both dead.

But they're not. Which is a shame.

Thanks for bringing this awful song back from the dead.

The mix is ok after the intro...the intro almost sounds like two copies of the same song playing out of sync.

The intro has some sync issues (listen to the guitars against the drums). There are some pitchy sections in the vocals. The singing isn't terrible, it just sounds worse in some places than others. Maybe you could try comping a few passes together to get a more solid overall performance?
I have to ask, was this for something or did you just decide to put this much time into an Oasis cover? I don't mind the original song, I am just curious.

Good Effort overall. Not really my style though.

Sorry. My wife freaked out in the other room while I was trying to listen to it. She started ranting about Oasis and then we both started thinking about how much better the world is now that they're both dead.

But they're not. Which is a shame.

Thanks for bringing this awful song back from the dead.

The mix is ok after the intro...the intro almost sounds like two copies of the same song playing out of sync.

Haha, well if you hate Oasis so much, you didn't have to watch it... But I'm glad you did - thanks!

Did you put a lot of effort into making this?
im just curious..

The intro has some sync issues (listen to the guitars against the drums). There are some pitchy sections in the vocals. The singing isn't terrible, it just sounds worse in some places than others. Maybe you could try comping a few passes together to get a more solid overall performance?
I have to ask, was this for something or did you just decide to put this much time into an Oasis cover? I don't mind the original song, I am just curious.

Good Effort overall. Not really my style though.

To answer these questions...

I didn't put a ton of work in. Basically it just started as a two-take song - one for acoustic guitar, one for vocals. I've been working towards putting together a solo acoustic vocals demo to try and get some solo gigs around town. Then I thought, well, I'll add a bit of acoustic lead stuff. Then I threw in some drum loops. Then I thought I'd add some electric parts. Then I borrowed a bass and thought it might be fun to lay down some stuff - I've never really played bass at all much before.

Then I bought a used camcorder - I've never owned a camcorder before. So I guess the video was more of a "learn how to use a camcorder and cut a video" than anything else.

All in all I'd say the recording took 3-4 hours. Mixing another couple. Filming took about an hour or so. Editing the video about another hour or so.

The reason I didn't go back and re-do the parts in the beginning that are a bit off is that I don't really have any reason to invest a ton of time into this project. It's good enough for me as it is, I guess.

Thanks for watching!

Wonderwall is a fun and easy song to strum on the acoustic guitar, which is probably why almost everyone who's ever played guitar has played it at some point or another
I play guitar and I've never played that sucky song in my life. :eek: :D

Besides the timing flubs, the mix sounds pretty good. The vid was boring as hell, but the quality was excellent. Very crisp and clear. Nice job overall.

I can't say much about that song either, because of an inborn hatred of anything produced in the era of louder is better and for cookie cutter bands and their songs.

This isn't a bad first effort, but it did lack in the performance part. I watched because I was curious about the video aspect. Curiosity did kill the cat...

nice video. i don't know anything about video editing but it seemed like it was pretty good quality. as for the song i enjoyed it. i fall into the category of one who plays guitar and has definitely played that song. especially when i went on road trips, everyone always wanted to hear that one and sing along, good times.
also i liked the lead guitar tones. i am currently looking for an amp and that is the kind of the sound i am going for.

Excellent quality on the vid! That is one hell of a camera.

Good sounding mix on the audio. Other than the stutters in the intro, the performace seems pretty solid.

Personally, I never dug this tune nor this band (didn't the lead singer once mention being bigger than the beatles? - kind of like john and jesus) and so never tried to learn to play it.

Seems like a fun project.
I would take the capo off however, kinda looks amateurish if you know what I mean (we all use it, but we pretend we dont;))
Can you tell me more about that camera? Price? What program did you use to edit the vid?

Mike

Man, Wonderwall gets a fair bit of hate, haha... Thank you all for listening and for you comments!

To be honest, I can't really stand the recorded version of the original song - they guy's voice annoys me a lot, but I think it's a great song to cover.

About the camera - it's a Canon HV20:

Canon_HV20_vanity_450.jpg

It's an HD hand-held camcorder that records to DV tape. This thing films at full 1080i, so the footage is HUGE when I'm editing it on my computer. I've got a Macbook pro, and my resolution is 1440x900, so I can't even see the whole picture at full resolution on my screen. This camera is capable of so much more than what I'm getting out of it. Check out this video, same camera: http://www.vimeo.com/431500. That video is pretty much what sold me on it...

This camera came out in '07 at a price of over $1000, but they can be found pretty easily these days for around $500, which is what I paid for mine.

I'm using Apple Final Cut to edit the video, and I'm really not doing much to the footage at all. For this video I just did a simple color correction "auto level". Final Cut is pretty powerful stuff, and I'm not even touching what it's capable of, but honestly I'm very satisfied with the picture quality - I don't feel a need to try and tweak it with software.

Besides, my laptop is a few years old, and it's barely capable of editing video files of this size. Video this size takes a ton of hard drive space and computing power.

I didnt either. I wonder if there's some kind of 35mm adapter you can buy for these puppies, that would put you pretty darn close to pro movie qualities. Does this camera have a mic-in line???
I liked your Savior King cover too:D

Mike

Great, thanks for expanding my ebay wishlist one more notch beyond my financial abilities:rolleyes:

Mike

Haha - no problem!

I didnt either. I wonder if there's some kind of 35mm adapter you can buy for these puppies, that would put you pretty darn close to pro movie qualities. Does this camera have a mic-in line???
I liked your Savior King cover too:D

Mike

To answer your questions... I'm pretty sure you can get a 35mm adapter, and yes, there is an audio line in on it. If you're interested in this camera, check out http://www.hv20.com - it's a pretty active community dedicated to this camera and the HV30 (the next year model). As far as affordable hand-held HD camcorders go, they're kind of known as the holy grail - at least that's what I determined.

Audio and video production are impressive -- I had some skipping, but it may be a bandwidth problem. Nice guitar tones, too.

Thanks! Those older blue-faced Vox valvetronix amps are pretty awesome. They nail an AC30 tone pretty well.

Back