Wondering if this will work

JeffLancaster

The attached diagram shows my current midi setup of several devices which communicate with my PC using a midisport 8x8 usb interface. Currently I run both Sonar and GigaStudio on this PC, but have considered adding a second PC to my setup and running Gigastudio separately. I have an audiophile 2496 card with Midi hookup I could use in this second PC so as to hook into my midi interface, but am not sure if the hookup scheme I have proposed in my diagram will work. I'm sure that with this hookup, my main PC (the one with Sonar) would see and be able to operate the Gigastudio PC as a remote midi device just fine, however I would also like to be able to trigger my gigastudio with my keyboard and drum module independently of the main PC at times. I'm not sure if I'd be able to accomplish this with this setup. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Attachments

• Midi-setup.jpg
    Midi-setup.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 47
I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work. The Midisport manual says that it can function as a stand-alone MIDI patchbay.

Don

Thanks, Don. Yep, I see where it talks about that in the manual - I've just never used it in that mode so I'm not quite sure how that works. I guess some experimentation is in order. I always hate it when I buy things that theoretically should work together, thinking I have everything planned out, but then something doesn't work as expected, leading to the purchase of even more gear...

I second Mr. Bozo's nod.

You are using the second PC in the role of a slave to the system --- I don't think Sonar cares if it's a PC, a hardware sampler or something wholly other on the end of the midi wire.

As far as playing the second PC from controllers attached to the Midisport, there's no reason that I can see that you wouldn't be able to do that.

Have fun --- looks like a slammin' setup!

Appreciate the responses guys. I did a little experimenting with the mode switch on the unit last night. it seems that if you switch it to "midi thru mode", then the input from all 8 channels are directed back out to all 8 channels, so I'm guessing that when i wanted to trigger giga on the secondary pc, I would just have to switch in into this mode, then when recording in Sonar on my main pc I would just switch it back to USB mode. Anyway, thanks again for the encouragement.

Back