woman to woman

toobalicious

hiya. no, not an advice column... i havent been around much lately--- probably because i havent been recording lately. other obligations, yadda yah.

had an afternoon to myself yesterday, and threw this together as an excuse to do something. a loose cover of woman to woman, by joe cocker. the vocals are not as smooth as mr gerst's thread, but its only rock and roll, and i like it.

(crickets....)

anyway, here it is:
http://www.mediafire.com/?ghdxkyjgskn

(Listening from work on a shitty system)

This is fucking awesome. I've always loved this tune. Great groove. Just lacking that Joe Cocker raunch...But, hey, he's Joe Cocker. The vocals are still very good, though. Bass is rocking, funky guitar....it's all there.

I'm really digging this. I'd play this back to back against the original any time.

(Listening from work on a shitty system)

This is fucking awesome. I've always loved this tune. Great groove. Just lacking that Joe Cocker raunch...But, hey, he's Joe Cocker. The vocals are still very good, though. Bass is rocking, funky guitar....it's all there.

I'm really digging this. I'd play this back to back against the original any time.

wow! thanks, what can i say?

but you are definitely right--- mr cocker is NOT easy to imitate, and that is why i did the "white-boy blues" version ;) . my voice has always been a little "cleaner" than i would prefer--- maybe i should pull an amy winehouse for a little more "authenticity". i did this pretty down 'n dirty, which actually worked out pretty well for the vibe. only used 3 mics on the whole thing, and only 2 on the drums (out in the room, no less).

This is fucking awesome

+1

Sounds Fantastic TOOBALICIOUS!!!

"70`s quality recording" !How you got that??!!Everything sounds great!

Sorry, I don´t know the original (In fact, I´m discovering I don´t know lots of
originals:D), but sounds something between Marvin Gaye, Wild Cherry,Toobalicious...:D

I felt a little lack of presence (around 3 k, large "Q"), but is my taste...

Congrats, again!

Ciro
www.soundclick.com/ciromoreau

hey, thanks again. i felt pretty good about it too, for what it is. enough in fact, to push me to record another cover yesterday ("you're welcome, stop on by" by bobby womack). no vocals yet. i love some of these killer, but forgotten grooves. sooo much good music back then---- not so much these days. IMNSHO.

"70`s quality recording" !How you got that??!!Everything sounds great!

wow, thanks. there was some "happy accident" stuff going on soundwise that is decidedly lo-fi. the drums especially--- i get that "old" sort of sound the way they did--- loose but even tuning on single-ply coated heads with duct tape and kleenex to deaden them out. somehow, full-range, crisp and modern sounding drums are out of place with this kind of music. also, my room is pretty artificially dead and has a low ceiling (9'). hit the preamps hard for a little saturation (almost too much on the vocals), and kept everything pretty dry. there is also some fairly judicious use of low-ratio/fast attack compression as a cheap attempt to simulate tape compression. amps were SF fenders--- a modified half-power quad reverb into a 1x12 cab for guitar, and a bassman 100 for bass. tube growl is easy when you really have tubes growling, lol. both were miced up close and off-axis with a plain old 57.

I felt a little lack of presence (around 3 k, large "Q"), but is my taste...
this is something i fight regularly. i have medically documented hearing damage for one, and also am still feeling out my monitors. i moved everything around a few months back, and things sound different. i *think* the acoustics are better this way, but i guess i need a little more time.

here is a teaser of the bobby womack song.... if i can do the vocals justice, i will post it up too. it is in .wav format since it is just a snippet. we are all on high-speed anyway, right?

http://www.mediafire.com/?x1ocjiqmusm

anyway, thanks for the comments and warm fuzzies!

my room is pretty artificially dead and has a low ceiling (9'). !

Low? I WISH I had a 9' ceiling. I just moved out of a place where I was recording under an 8' ceiling, and I just moved into a plce where I'm working under a 7 footer. Your drum tuning and recording in this is awesome.

Low? I WISH I had a 9' ceiling. I just moved out of a place where I was recording under an 8' ceiling, and I just moved into a plce where I'm working under a 7 footer. Your drum tuning and recording in this is awesome.
i feel your pain. several years ago, i actually played drums in a band........
anyway, our "rehearsal space" was just a sectioned off room in a lo-rise warehouse sort of place. the ceilings were 9-10', but the built-in drum riser was so tall i could just about palm the ceiling from my throne. but it looked cool, i guess :rolleyes:. the best part of that place aside from the rodents? i realize what a freaking fire trap it was---- all of the walls were coated in those restaurant-style cardboard eggcrates. and not only that, but they were spraypainted black. i know we smoked dope in there, and i can only imagine what some of the other "tenants" were doing.

COOL! At some point I was expecting Wilson Picket to just come in! What a great raw 60's sound. And sung with a great feel (...who needs a whisky voice anyway...?). Well done!

Cheers
Joe:D

COOL! At some point I was expecting Wilson Picket to just come in! What a great raw 60's sound. And sung with a great feel (...who needs a whisky voice anyway...?). Well done!

Cheers
Joe:D

dude, thanks... the wilson picket reference is a HUGE compliment to me.

and yeah, i am kinda more a beer guy than liquor, though i love a good dram of single malt as much as anyone (who likes scotch, that is).

Sounds good. Musically it sounds just like the original. Kick ass job there.

My only nit is that the drums sound like they're leaning to the right just a little. Maybe it's an overhead/phase thing. Other than that it's damn good.

hey, thanks for the ears.
i will revisit that when i get a chance--- thanks for the tip! like i mentioned earlier, the drums werent recorded with overheads--- just a pair of LDC's about 12' out front. their placement for phase relationship was measured relative to the kick drum, so i suppose there could be phasing everywhere else, lol.

a

Back