wma -> mp3 ??

powderfinger

Well, I don't know where else to post this...so i figure 'computer recording' kind of fits the bill

i'm looking to convert my entire wma library to mp3 and wanted to know if anyone has any suggested software? (preferably free:D )

www.dbpoweramp.com

Free :D

You will need the wma codecs from their site. Look for the link and follow the instructions.

Be prepared for a huge loss in quality. Transcoding is the worst thing you can do for your audio collection.

i don't know if any other tracking prgrams do this but you can set up a batch process script in cool edit pro to convert all of your files at once. I did not know about that loss in audio business though.. why does this happen? does this also happen when going from wav's to mp3? i know that some audio is lossed because the mp3 are compressed but does the actual conversion process cause a loss in quality?

minofifa said:
... why does this happen? does this also happen when going from wav's to mp3? i know that some audio is lossed because the mp3 are compressed ...

When encoding one-way, there is some loss anyway. So when going from wav to MP3 you lose quite a bit of data.

The problem when transcoding is that no two encoders are alike. So each encoder loses a different part of the audio band and frequency spectrum. Which means that instead of losing one set, you lose two sets of data - once during the original encoding process, and then during the conversion process. Not advisable at all - unless you're converting for a portable player or something like that, it's better to re-rip the CDs.

Back