Wldorf Micro Q or the Korg MS2000?

krysis

Anyone had a chance to use both of these in depth? I'm going to get one or the other, but I'm not sure which one yet. I make industrial/powernoise type stuff and am looking for a synth that has a "dark" bite to it if you know what I mean. I've played around with both of them a very little bit and it seems that the waldorf has more of a "dark" sound to it. Any input?

It is hard to know what someone else means by a "dark" sound since this is an unusual term in this context. I do not have much experience with the Korg, however, from what I know, they are somewhat different. If it helps, I have the Micro Q and an Access Virus b. The Micro Q is a bit sharper and more analytical (since we are using descriptive words) whereas the Virus is a bit warmer and smoother. From what I know the Korg is more like the latter than the former. In the end, just use your ears and decide which you like best and which you think will fit you music best. The only helpful tip I might be able to offer is that the Korg may have easier access to basic synth functioins such as envelopes and filter settings for quick tweaking of the various sounds. The Q is a bit more difficult in this area. Either way, good luck!

It is hard to know what anyone means when they use such adjectives as "darker" and such. But, since you opened that door, I can say this. I have the Mircro Q and an Access Virus b. As for the Korg, I have only heard it for a short time but have some familiarity with the layout. The Q tends to be on the "sharp" side, bright, not as warm as, in my case, the Virus. The Virus (which may be a bit more like the Korg though I am not sure) tends to be warmer, not as sharp and "bell like" in its tones, more of the traditional analogue type sound. Also, the Virus has easy access to standard synth parameters such as filters and envelopes whereas the Q's access to these parameters is a bit more difficult. One nice feature of the Q is the truly easy manner in which it handles multi timbral tasks. This is a pleasure to work with and checking the status of any given patch is quite easy. This tends to help productivity. The Virus (which is similar in layout in some respects to the Korg though I do not know completely how far this goes) would make it easy to adjust a filter or envelope for quick alteration of sounds in this respect helping productivity in that regard. Anyway, most of this is nonsense. In the end, just use your ears and decide what is best for your needs.

I'm not sure if I can expand on the "darker" thing. I'll just leave it at the sounds I've heard from the micro q I like a lot better than the ones out of the MS2000. I guess where my trouble with making a descision comes in is with the editing of sounds. I haven't been able to play much with the micro Q, but as you said editing it seems that it would be more of a pain than the korg. I'm big on messing around with sounds live and tweeking them on the spot. Is this something that would be a big problem with the micro Q? And then my big problem with the korg is that it seems really limited with polyphony. Damn these synths!

the korg only have 4 voices, the microq can get 70. I'll leave it at that since the modulation of the korg ain't much better and neither is the sound..

Back