Witch Lexicon

Tremaine

Chancellor of the EOPA
from what i can gather, a home studio should have nothing less then Lexicon reverb. I read somewhere that old Lexicon is better then new, thou this probably only applies to lower end gear.
What should a beginner look for, i think i want two channels, one for recording <i understand most people add reverb while mastering now> and one for the singers headphones. personaly im an analog guy, so i dont need all the extra digital bling,<ie midi outs> thou it wood probably aid me in the future.
So new and old, what Lexicon should we look for???

Thanks for your time
Peace World
Tremaine

Last edited:
I can't think of one that has two separate channels. A bunch of the higher end ones have left and right channels, but it will be the same stereo verb coming out of each one. I'm not sure whey you would need two channels since you don't record and mix at the same time (or master for that matter) and you wouldn't want to record the reverb live when tracking the vocal.

I think you have been fed a lot of misinformation.

1. I really don't know any mastering engineers that add reverb as a standard operating procedure. Unless you are confusing mastering with mixing...

2. There is nothing magic about the old lexicon units that the new ones don't do. The new ones still use the same algorythms and probably have better converters than were available in the 80's and 90's. The only real advantage is that you can afford higher end used gear. But vintage digital isn't necessarily better because of how far we have come with converters and processors in the last decade or two.

another problem with older units is, they have a battery that keeps the memory intact when the unit is off. When that battery dies, it can be a big pain in the butt to replace it (sometimes it's soldered in) and get the memory reloaded. Parts are non-existant for some of the units.

Lexicons are good units, but I'm not sure where you got the idea that they are the end-all-be-all of reverb units. TC Electronics makes some really great sounding stuff as well, so does Yamaha.

Not to mention that the new TC electronic plus other companies now have digital out!!
Hey Jay you pasted 10,000 post!:cool::cool::cool:

There are a few brands that pros use besides Lexicon. I'm using a Yamaha SPX1000. I've heard Sony reverbs that sound expensive. I started a thread here on the Lexicon MX400 https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=298568 on a newish Lexicon that's dirt cheap I was looking at (doesn't do 96K tho).

I do keep an old Yamaha SPX90 around that I have on my headphone amp for singers so that is one way of handling the need for reverb while you're laying down tracks.

The main thing I look for is that it needs to sound really,really expensive. :)

.. What should a beginner look for, i think i want two channels, one for recording <i understand most people add reverb while mastering now>
..and one for the singers headphones. personaly im an analog guy, so i dont need all the extra digital bling,<ie midi outs> thou it wood probably aid me in the future...
? Verb for 'mastering? -As Farview said, pehaps you mean 'mixing'.

Head phone cumfy verb- use what you got. ;)

I have an old used LXP-1 that's sounds pretty good actually (on phones', or othersise) but it's a bit finicky (diryt pot problems mostly).
The PCM80/81's 90/91's can do a pair of mono-ins/stereo out (-on the single pair of out puts). Those things'll keep you playing with options for months. :)
They may be getting long in the tooth- (regarding that future reliability/repair thing, but see them for around $6-700.
I guess you have to have hardware? Look up PCM92?

Just purcahased the Lexicon MX 200 for about $200.

There is a lot of capability in this box, including the ability to digital link to your PC recording platform for ITB control.

That being said, I am an analog type guy in digital world so I am using it through my console.

It is a dual input and dual output box. This means that it can support 2 effect sends and 2 mono returns. Alternatively, it can process one send and allow two effects to be applied (like a terrific reverb plus a Leslie rotary effect) that can be sent back as either mono or stereo'

The reverb's are what made Lexicon's reputation, and these are of sufficient and very high quality that the project/home studio engineer would never be worried about. It also has a ton of other classic effects/delay including one that I really like, an Echoplex type classic tape delay(superb with distorted guitars)

For this kind of money, I dont think you can go wrong.

Abera-ka-dube!

first off, thanks for the responce.

when i said "no less then" i ment it, ie: nothing crapyer then. <i try to say what i mean, and not use slang and phrases that really mean something else, i'll make an effort to be clearer in the future.>

i was confused about mastering, i must have misintrupted something that i read, thanks for clearing that up. i am new to the home studio game.
i havent actually tryed to record anything yet, eccept straight to cassette tape,all at once, guess i got a bit to learn, but im here aint i.

the bit about batterys is good to know, wood the unit still power up with a dead battery, that wood also be good to know, for us low budget, junk buyers.

***It is a dual input and dual output box. This means that it can support 2 effect sends and 2 mono returns. Alternatively, it can process one send and allow two effects to be applied (like a terrific reverb plus a Leslie rotary effect) that can be sent back as either mono or stereo'***
Just to clear this up, its called left and right, and can be used as such, but they are indenpendant channels and can be used as input 1 and 2? if so, do they always have the same amount of reverb? or can i use one for recording and one for monitoring/encourging singing?

im reading yer thread and looking into the PCM92 now.

i checked today, and none of the local music store carry lexicon, they can order it but, ebay will be cheeper, their loss. infact noone around here even stocks any homerecording gear, eccept mixers, so i cant even try anything out, cheap bastards...

once upon a time i called my self a witch, and i still study occult sicences, witch basically means i study things that cant be measured or explained by modren sicence, i dont see how that makes me afarid of happy people.?!?
BOO!

Peace World, thanks again.
Tremaine

crook-ed story

i just reread that, and i guess im a contradiction
for thou i do not use old slang pharses that we have mostly forgotten the orignal meanings for, i do trade up the spelling of words for their driffent meaning counter parts. <witch wood> i figure i was gunna get razed for that after i read is so i thought i'd be the first.

Tremaine, you lying prick! get your freaking story straight!! some peoples children eh?

Last edited:
80% of all recorded music

"In fact, these classic Lexicon Hall algorithms have been used on more than 80% of all recorded music."
i just copyed and pasted that from a lexicon ad, it cant be true thou, is it? it dont smell right to me...
do other products/companys use there algorithms?
i ass-u-me they mean commerically recorded, because i dout they hear everything... unless the secret world goverment does invert our speakers!!!
i knew it.

Peace World
Tremaine

Try out the Lexicon PCM plugins.

There are many advantages to using these as opposed to an outboard box if you are mostly doing mixes in a DAW.

They are the algo's from the PCM96 according to the guy that wrote/transcribed/edited the software.

There are no delays, chorus, or other types of algo's other than the reverb however.

There's a guy from Relab doing a Lexicon 480 emulation as well. Last I looked, there was no pricing on the plugin yet although it has been released for test/trial purposes. I'm waiting on that one until he gives a price.

Are you set on acquiring an outboard box? ...and yes, I can see I am about 1-1/2 months late here....

Last edited:
when i first showed up on this forum, i thought that i would be analog forever. turns out i was rong <after only 2 months>, i perfer outboard gear, i love the mess, and the buttons and lights, but recently i have aquired a delta 1010lt sound card, and downloaded reaper.
therefore
now i am very intersted in plugins, i will check out the Lexicon PCM plugins right now, thanks dude.

damn its big, like 111mb <thats big for 56k> i'll have to get to a faster puter, looks cool thou.

Peace Dude
Tremaine

when i first showed up on this forum, i thought that i would be analog forever. turns out i was rong <after only 2 months>, i perfer outboard gear, i love the mess, and the buttons and lights, but recently i have aquired a delta 1010lt sound card, and downloaded reaper.
therefore
now i am very intersted in plugins, i will check out the Lexicon PCM plugins right now, thanks dude.

damn its big, like 111mb <thats big for 56k> i'll have to get to a faster puter, looks cool thou.

Peace Dude
Tremaine

PCM series plug-ins are pretty amazing - not cheap but they are all the reverb you will ever need. I think they have a demo you can download.

i will check out the Lexicon PCM plugins right now, thanks dude.

You could also try getting any old convolution reverb plug-in (there might be some free ones - I couldn't tell you), and there's tons of Lexicon impulse responses that can be downloaded for free around the net. They sound amazing.

Back